Old BT Master Socket 'Normal' phone wire but also twin core live cable??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks

We're due to be having some windows fitted at the end of the week in our new house and in the process of tidying up I noticed that our loose master socket has an extra cable going into the socket aside from the normal BT multi core. This extra cable has got voltage running through it and does not look in a great state of repair in terms of its insulation.

I'm not going to touch it unless I have to as I know it's BT's property but it needs to be sorted out asap as I have an inquisitive 5yr old who for various reasons cannot be relied upon to not prod/poke.

If I get sky to get BT in will they treat it as a priority or is this something i can make safe myself with a new master socket from screwfix etc?

Sponsored Links
What voltage and how did you measure it ?

Telephone lines have 50 volts DC on them when the phone is not in use and when in use this drops to between 8 and 12 volts.

When the bell is being rung there an alternating voltage of about 75 volts.

The "extra" cable is likely to be the incoming phone line from the telphone exchange.

I opened up the socket and carevilly applied a multimeter across the terminals. See attached photo.

Attachments

• IMAG2203.jpg
    IMAG2203.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 234
Sponsored Links
The grey twin is the incoming phone line,
That's the wire that looks pretty knackered, as it's on the back of the box I'm assuming that it is a BT responsibility that I should book in via my telephone provider (sky) to get on to openreach?

Show us the knackered bit because I'm blowed if I can see it, everything looks normal and like any other.

Does your phone system work?

Show us the knackered bit because I'm blowed if I can see it, everything looks normal and like any other.

Does your phone system work?

The knackered bit is outside - within easy reach, looks like it's been damaged then painted - not sure when the damage happened or if it's as a result of UV degradation as we only moved in a few months back. The phone works but line speed isn't great but that may be unrelated.

I'm not home at the moment so can't take a pic but I suspect the person that painted it didn't realise it was a live wire - just thought it was an old dead one.

Contact your phone supplier and complain of bad crackling noise on the line, particually in wet weather, and Openreach will replace it.

The outside bit deteriorates, cracks and causes problems. Known problem with that figure of '8' style cable.

Thanks all - Openreach came out on Friday and sorted it all with no quibbles - the dropwire was indeed knackered so they replaced it along with the master socket which was also ancient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back