Old Conservatives don't understand

oh so your saying people buying council houses under labour before thatcher came to power doesnt count .
Or that you didnt know that right to buy and discounts had been in long before thatcher

Sponsored Links
I merely pointed out that Labour had opportunities to make changes but didnt
It's not as simple as that, the damage was done. Governments of all persuasions can't just reverse everything done previously. Millions were sold way before Labour took power.

The rules were also tightened in 2005.

Last edited:
oh so your saying people buying council houses under labour before thatcher came to power doesnt count .
How many were sold under Labour before Thatcher came in, and under what terms?

How many were sold under Labour before Thatcher came in, and under what terms?

you tell me you seem to think it was a policy thatcher brought in and was wrong that people got the chance to own property with a bit of help .

Sponsored Links
It's not as simple as that, the damage was done. Governments of all persuasions can't just reverse everything done previously. Millions were sold way before Labour took power.

And more were sold after 1997

Best you stop digging now

Thatcher Built almost 100 X more council houses than New Labour.

"...New Labour built an average of 562 council houses per year. And Mrs Thatcher's Conservatives? 41,343. That said, it's also true that the number of council houses under construction declined steadily during Mrs Thatcher's era."

I never said that Richard
You keep going back to Labour. Thatcher introduced the great give away, Labour changed the eligibility for right to buy and sales declined. The Tories made it easier again in 2015. That's the facts.

No. You claimed Labour sold council houses before 1980, and when I ask how many, you don't know.

There was no "right" to buy before Thatcher. That is just a fact.
did you actually read the link you put .
Could you buy council houses at a discount before thatcher came to power
Yes or NO

You keep going back to Labour. Thatcher introduced the great give away, Labour changed the eligibility for right to buy and sales declined. The Tories made it easier again in 2015. That's the facts.
Sales declined because those that could had already done so .
I bet all those right to right where tory voters the scoundrels.

"During the 50s sales accelerated: 5,825 in May 1956 alone. "

Could you buy council houses at a discount before thatcher came to power
I don't think there was much of a discount, if any. I could be wrong on that. There was no "right" though, it was up to the local authority if they agreed to sell or not.

Sponsored Links
Back