Old Electrics (2 wire)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, long time lurker and this is my first post!

I've just moved in to a house built in 1969, and want to replace the current lights with new ones throughout. The wiring is black/red and appears to be a bit thin compared to other old houses I've been in

Should I just wire up the replacement lights, or should I take the wiring back as far as I can, and introduce a new piece to present to the lights?

Sponsored Links
When you say "2 wire" do you mean separate cores or two grey cables with 2 cores in?

what I can see at the moment, there are two separate white wires coming down from the ceiling rose with a single wire in each, looking around the house at other cabling, everything else appears to be normal grey cable

When you say "2 wire" do you mean separate cores or two grey cables with 2 cores in?

You really need to find out if there is a junction box hidden away under the floor of upstairs or in the loft if this is upstairs. Does the other grey cable have an earth core running through between the red/black?

Sponsored Links
I will look tonight, the cabling goes in the loft, we haven't got boards down so will be easy, if it's boxed I presume I can just rip the cable out and install up-to date cabling

The grey cables I've seen elsewhere around the house do have an earth

You really need to find out if there is a junction box hidden away under the floor of upstairs or in the loft if this is upstairs. Does the other grey cable have an earth core running through between the red/black?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back