Old painted polystyrene tiles used as wall insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've studded out 1 of my bathroom walls to hide a shower valve. It's an outside brick and stone wall. There's an original stud wall, of lathe and plaster maybe 60mm deep half way up (photo attached). My new stud wall is 89mm (CLS 4x2s) deep.

I have an abundance of old polystyrene tiles I'm removing from various ceilings.

Would putting these tiles in this new cavity be a good move. My gut says yes.

thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
My two cents is not to re-use, or ever use, polystyrene tiles - in a fire they are a deadly smoke risk.
Are you insulating for cold or sound?

The pic wasn't informative - is it the correct pic?

AAMOI: the skirting in the pic is carrying a 15mm supply to a WC (?). Why not use this refurbishing opportunity to drop that supply, in plastic, below the floor boards?

Sponsored Links
You could re-use the poly tiles no problem. The problem will be getting them off in one or meaningful pieces.

Bear in mind that polystyrene should not be in contact with any electrical cables

It would be better to re-use/recycle than buy anything new

re-use recycled glass bottles, for example?

woody,

With respect, one can certainly re-use the p/tiles for the suggested use ( esp. as they will be behind plaster board), but, depending on the variables, there are several risk factors.

Since the early 80's a fire retardent has been added to p/t's. How's the OP to know if his, stored, p/t's are early or late?

Landlords and householders who allow p/t's can be deemed as ignoring best practice safety standards, by insurance co's and fire safety officers, unless they follow detailed standards, or remove the p/t's completely.

LACORS guide p. 32 gives detailed info. on p/t's for all MO's(multiple occupancies). It's hedged with restrictions.

AFAIK, Armstrong, the world's biggest maker of p/t's, has long stopped using polystyrene in it's ceiling tiles - commercial or residential.

On a personal note, i've twice seen fires in progress where p/t's were burning, and the smoke was ferocious. I've also visited, to quote for work, a number of fire damaged properties that had p/t's in-situ.

And what is the fire risk in sealed dry-lining, against an external wall with plasterboard fire protection ....... and in a bathroom to boot?

Polystyrene is only a risk when used in a high risk situation

you're strangely enthusiastic about stuffing this old plastic in the wall, woody :confused:

Thanks Gents.

As Woody picked up, the proposed place for these old tiles is a sealed drywall cavity to an outside (North facing) wall.

I want to protect the pipes against the cold. I'll be running new shower pipes in the cavity (no Electrics)

I have slowly been removing the best part of 60 sq mtrs of the stuff from ceilings. I'll be able to salvage enough whole ones to do the job nicely.
The previous owner was obvioulsy mad for the things.

Save the planet and save my pipes!

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back