Old partition wall-any ideas on material?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have a partition wall in my house that I have started to take down but am puzzled over what material it is. I am hoping it is nothing too sinister (I.E. asbestos)

Here are the details:
1. the panels are approximately 36"wide x 12"high x 3" thick.
2. they are smooth-faced.
3. they use a tongue and groove system to lock together, in a similar fashion to the concrete panels used in post and panel fencing.
4. they are a pinkish off-white colour.
5. They give of very little dust when drilled.
6. The texture of material looks like a cross between plaster and concrete, with flecks of black stone through it.
7. the weight of a panel is about half, maybe a touch more, that of a similarly sized concrete panel.
8. there are NO visible fibres in it.
9. they are quite brittle and break cleanly.

I will attach a photo ASAP

Any ideas what these are. I thought that maybe they are formed from a low density concrete-maybe a forerunner to aircrete blocks?

Thanks
G

Sponsored Links
Just looks like precast concrete slabs to me, the black bits likely to be just part of the agreegate mix. Could be grano and limestone.
Something I've seen used for floors.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.
I suspected that they may be some kind of pc concrete slab. It seems like a pretty effective system for constructing walls.

It is a fairly typical, proprietary, lightweight internal partitioning masonry block. Commonly used from '60s through to mid 80's.

Is this an upstairs or bungalow partition?

Thanks.
After searching Siporex on the internet it appears that these are pretty much what I have. Aerated autoclaved concrete panels the general term for them seems to be. Still seem to be very popular overseas.

The partition was dividing the upstairs bathroom, back bedroom and the landing.

The partition was dividing the upstairs bathroom, back bedroom and the landing.

Was it also built off a timber sole plate?

No, there was no sole plate. The wall was built directly off the floorboards. A timber strip (15mm wide x 10mm high) ran along the length of the base of wall and had a bed of lime mortar on it. This timber bead created a tongue in the mortar bed and wall panel located itself on to this, if that makes any sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back