Replacing glass in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for your input. I've not long moved into a new house, 1970's semi. Part of the main bedroom wall,next to the door, is floor to ceiling panels of frosted glass - totally bizarre. 4 panels, each approximately 1.5 ft x 2ft. The previous owners wall papered over it, maybe as a temporary measure, but never did anything more. I want to fill it all in, so it appears a solid wall.

My plan of action.

1) remove glass
2) replace each panel with MDF or plaster board
3) skim over the top
4) paint

Does that sound reasonable ?

Sponsored Links
Pics please.. Might be easier to just,leave it in and plasterboard over it, but seeing the job would be handy

1.5ft x 2ft floor to ceiling is quite a low ceiling :)

Don't use mdf if you're going to skim, also plasterboard is cheaper anyway. Make sure you for the plasterboard well and use tape on the edges so it doesn't crack there.
Also ceiling height sounds fine, I assume the 2ft is the height and 8ft ceiling is pretty standard round here. You can get that easily in plasterboard, one sheet should do both sides with a bit to spare.
The guys on the plastering section will know more than me.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your responses guys, il post before and after pics up once done ! Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back