Weight of glass roof on walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am getting quotes for a conservatory. I want the typical glass roof, but 2.3m high walls either side. These will make a small 2 1/2 brick return on the front where 4 floor to ceiling glass panels will be, 2 of which will open. It will also have a door to enter from the kitchen and 2 other doors which are necessary for exit/entrance purposes!
Anyway quotes are saying....
Dig down 900 or 500mm deep, lay footings etc build cavity walls to be 250 wide with 50mm insulation.
Are these walls going to be able to take the weight of the glass roof which is 4m x 3m?
One quote says lintels needed over door openings, the other only says installation of tie bars to the finished conservatory.
Very confused so any help much appreciated! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cavity walls to be 250 wide with 50mm insulation - Are these walls going to be able to take the weight of the glass roof which is 4m x 3m?

Yes - Absolutely no problem. As regards stay bars, these are used as a precaution against any possibility of the roof apex "spreading" under the weight of, for example, a very heavy snowfall on the roof.

as above the tie bars only stop the roof spreading and the ridge dipping, if the side walls are full height walls these would be heavier than the glass roof, check the footings are appropriate for FH walls with a glass roof aswell. with regards to the lintel at the front i think that would depend on the roof system used:cool:

The quotes I've had from conservatory company don't mention lintels but ties only. Then when I get a builder to quote build only they mention lintels. I suppose it makes sense to stick with conservatory company for everything.

Sponsored Links
the lintels would only be needed if there was a large span opening with heavy weight above, tie bars just stop the roof spreading out

So I'm thinking I shouldn't need lintels then with only single doors and a double door opening (French doors).

A conservatory roof will come with an aluminum ring beam that acts as lintel across doors and is fine for single and double doors.
For anything bigger than a 2m span a special heavy duty ring or steel would be required but the conservatory manufacturer would know this and specify it were needed

Thanks to everyone who have put my mind at ease. Happy new year.

some ringbeams are better for openings than others so dont expect them all to be the same strengths though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back