Old pipework!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decorating a downstairs cloakroom for a friend and noticed after stripping off the old paper that the plaster seemed to be bulging and loose in one corner. Knocked off the loose and what do I find.....piece of old pipe that has gone so rusty it's expanded and pushed the plaster and render away from the brickwork. All of a sudden while brushing it down hear a hisssss,
oh s*d it now I know what it is.....a bit of live gas barrel that was now paper thin!! :eek: :eek:
Turn off gas and await a homecoming of friend to confess that she has no gas at the moment. Fortunately she knew a gas fitter who was able to come out and run a new supply for her and I came up smelling of roses because she took the view that it was so lucky I found it otherwise it could have started leaking on its own and caused an explosion. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
you are lucky.
Some years ago my wife's friend's dad, who had no sense of smell, was a DIYer- until one day he cut off a piece of pipe that was in his way when laying floor.
You guessed- it was a gas pipe in an old terraced house. This gassed him and he died.
I am very wary of pipes/wires- treat them like live ammo- with care, until they are proven to be harmless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back