old problem no fault found

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

sorry to go on but ive still got problems with my vauxhall meriva.

inthe past i have posted about eps... electronic power steering, ive had the steering out and sent of for reconditioning where engineers say tehy found no fault with the unit column steering angle sensor and column ecu.

so im getting returned a a steering column that i know will be playing up for me with intermitant loss of power steering.

does anyone have any ideas as to what can cause the power steeringto turn off intermitantly.

can teh ECU cause lazy power steering and intermitanlt loss of it when turning.

ALL HELP APPRECIATED

Sponsored Links
1. Put a light across the motor, use the same supply and earth as the motor for the small warning light. See if it goes out when you loose assistance? This will determine if its the motor or the driving/supply circuit.

2. Increase the tyre pressure on the front to the maximum allowed. Check it with at least two gauges just to be sure.

3. Try not to bounce the motor off the limit switch at full lock.

3. Ask the guys that looked at the motor for you, if there is a thermal cutout built into the motor to stop the motor burning out if overloaded?

See how you get on

Loads of Corsas and Astras around with failed electric power steering pumps.....symptoms being easy to steer in one direction only, fluid loss or total loss of power assistance.
John :)

motor should be fine ecu testing ltd have had the column and power steering unit for a week now as tehy say no faults found.

ive just checked the wiring plan to it in the haynes manual and now think this could be a problem but not to sure.

fault code says speed sensor no signal

speed sensor is wired to the eps, eps fault intermitant loss of power steering and warnign light to go on and off every now and again.
fair the warning light may illuminate for eps due to no signal but can it really make teh power steering turn on and off??

Sponsored Links
As you probably know the speed sensor controls the level of assistance the motor gives the driver. The slower the speed, the driver requires more assistance. Is the fault speed related?

The motor is definitely working correctly, but then it stops working, or am I missing something? Therefore if you want to see where the fault lies, eliminate as you go. That's why I suggested the light across the motor

ill give that a try i get teh unit back in a few days time so ill get back to yer after then

hi can any of you guys tell me whether or not i would need my tracking doing on refitting steering column.

column only fits on one way so i havent gone wrong there, undone coolumn at first UJ where it enters teh car, steering isnt pulling and is still pretty staight on on the road, however someone has siad to me trackign will need doing after any column has been removed and refitted.
thanks guys

The electric power steering unit is on the steering column, so the tracking should be as before and unaffected by the replacement

Denials aside, dealers have data loggers that store all kinds of auto operating voltages, currents, speeds, pressures, etc., just before the fault happens. They are triggered by the fault or by the driver. Ask.

Sponsored Links
Back