Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have been having some problems with my Vivaro 1.9 cdti 2006 100bhp 6 speed. Where the glow plug heater light has been flashing on and off and losing all power. I have read alot of post with several other members having very similar problem. I have diagnosed the problem and wanted to share to hopefully help some members through their nightmare. Firstly let me tell you there is no difference between all f9q common rail engines, wether it's Vivaro, primastar or Traffic, 120bhp, 100bhp, 90bhp and 80bhp, up to 2006. They are all made under license by Renault. OK here goes, if your glow plug light is permanently illuminated, this means you have water in the fuel filter or you have a shorted/earthed circuit ( commonly the fuel injector wiring under the air filter box, a little less common is wires rubbing bare on front bottom corner of the ECU protector black casing) but no codes will be produced by your ecu. If your glow plug light is flashing intermittent this means the engine has stopped and re-started. If you imagine when you first stick your keys in the ignition, turn the key until the ignition is turn on, your glow plug light turns on to say it's doing the job it's supposed to do. Well that's what your ECU thinks it should be doing every time your engine stalls, even if your engine stalls and re-starts very fast, hence sudden loss of power and flashing glow plug light. This is the result of 2 possible faults. 1, low regulated fuel pressure caused by, you guessed it, a faulty fuel solenoid on the back of the fuel high pressure pump, £50 on eBay or £110 from Renault. 2 the ECU is not receiving the correct timing information and is waiting to receive the correct timing information, when it does receive the correct timing information off you go again, hence the stop start. Caused by a crankshaft sensor fault or a camshaft sensor fault, both cost around £15 each on eBay or £45 each from Renault. Lastly if your getting all sorts of electrical problems and you can't find any broken or bare wires, check the pink (fuel) 40amp 4 pin relays in the fuse box under the header tank, it's a common relay cost £3 on eBay or £25 from Renault. Lastly making sure you have good electrical connection on all electrical connections is obvious as its a Renault. Hope this helps van owners..

Sponsored Links
Back