Old thermostat wires cut - hive heating not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We’ve had Hive for a long while and had the previous old thermostat on the wall. We’ve been doing some redecorating and one of our ‘helpers’ has removed it, cut the wire and pushed back into the wall.

Now our Hive hot water is working but not our heating. I’m assuming that the old thermostat completed the circuit.

Aside from trying to pull the wire out from the now-redecorated wall, where is the other end of this wire and can I complete the circuit somewhere else ? I’m assuming it’s up in the hot water tank cupboard ?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Probably best to get to an professional installer in to have a look. Sounds like whoever installed the Hive was a cowboy

Thanks, but seeing potentially what I could do myself just now as it’s cold!

Ok, so I’ve opened the box upstairs where the hot water tank is and this is what I see..apologies for the rubbish mark-up of numbers :

2B374B8A-35D2-465B-9882-685C7368ED3A.jpeg

So :
1 - This leads to the Hive unit on the other side of the wall.
2 - I THINK (!) this cable goes down to the original thermostat.
3 - Looks like the red wire on the very left (in position 1 on the ‘junction box’ (not sure what it’s called) is the same red wire coming out of the cable shown by 2.
4 - Looks like the yellow wire goes in here.

I’m mentioning the red and yellow wires as on the old thermostat, these two seemed to be joined together in a small plastic box.

Not at all sure where I’d go from here…?

IF your cable identification is correct then it's a very easy fix- as above, whoever installed your Hive needs a slap as does your 'helper'.
Counting the terminal blocks from the left, you need to identify where the brown core in the bottom of terminal 3 goes. Have you had a look inside the lid of that wiring centre- you may find a circuit diagram

Sponsored Links
Here are some more pics :

058880A4-D6E8-4B96-AF2E-22286F7E7202.jpeg

1487B8AE-7C49-4DC8-93FC-D457D371BC55.jpeg

The brown wire goes into the right hand black cable then feeds down and goes into the bottom white valve.

Ok, so far so good. Do you own a multimeter?
And/or can you post a pic of the back of the Hive controller (showing which core is connected to what)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back