Old Vaillant Sine 18 Boiler whistling....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a 20+ year old boiler in the flat I bought last year. All has been well so far, but during the summer months when running hot water, the boiler began to whistle. The high pitch noise only happens with hot water, cold is OK.

I initially thought it was air, and today got the CH working for the first time and bled the Rads - but the noise is still there.

Apart from the annoying noise, everything seems to work OK - any clues, or is this the end for the Vaillant?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
These are still quite repairable for anyone who understands them.

Its difficult for me to guess but a first question is if the system pressure is correct at about 1.2 bar cold?

Tony

Pressure is fine - usually needs to be topped up once a month, but currently sitting pretty on 1 bar

Bizarre as it sounds, in the kitchen next to the boiler the noise only occurs when you are running 'warm' water - so cold and third degree burns hot is fine! weird!

Sponsored Links
There is fault on a type of flow rehgulator which can cause a whistle but I dont think your boiler has one of that kind.

Any rapid transition in a water flow part can cause a whistle.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back