Old walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone ever used the rolls of polystyrene on old walls before wall papering. I guess it's to stop condensation and mould forming as I have an old cottage with this set up and I need to re-paper the walls in the lounge.

Sponsored Links
Good evening Sire,:cool: and welcome to our Forum.
I have seen polystyrene used on walls, and i think it is/was used for "warming" colder walls up. The painters on here will probably tell you more about the use of it nowadays.

I've not seen it for years. If you get a fire your house fills with toxic smoke and then you die.

Sponsored Links
Its fire proof now but it was used to warm up the surface on older walls that never had any cavity or had damp or condensation problems.
When papering over the top of it you need to use a ready mixed adhesive for your paper to stick propery.. Not easy to use a seam roller on the joints either as you squash the polystyrene.

Thanks for your help with that Robbie, I'm just going to use it on the two outside walls to stop the condensation / mould appearing. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back