salts in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

we have found that the additive we put in the plaster to deal with salts in the walls of a lounge and dining room has not mixed through throroughly enough.

Basically we have 4 patches which are still absorbing water from the air, which look quite unsightly. We don't have time to rip off the plaster at this point and have considered the following:
Using a salt neutraliser on the affected areas. Line with polystyrene lining paper then put on a vinyl wall paper.

I am struggling to find polystyrene wall paper. I'm afraid, and wondered if anybody may have any further ideas.

Many thanks
Jo

Sponsored Links
Hi I've not any experiance of anti salt additives ??.. But if you have salts, they will keep on coming till it all dries out. I certainly would'nt try blocking the patches with paper etc as the salts will just push it off. As a quick fix try brushing off any salt then apply some silicone solution in salty areas, Not too much!!! leave for a few days week if poss.
I presume the rooms have recently been plastered and we're talkin bare plaster ?

Good luck[/i]

Thanks for the tip, we will give it a try.

Unfortunately the wall had been covered in lining paper then painted. All was o.k. and not showing problems with just the plaster. A small patch appeared after papering and painting but nothing too terrible. A tenant moving into the house and using an unvented tumble drier in the room next door has caused something of a problem, though.

Many thanks
Jo

sorry for posting this in 2 sections. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back