olde worlde vaillant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

hoping you can help me out ,i have a vaillant fitted and think it maybe quite an early one as it has a big square flue no fan or anything.

problem is the pilot keeps going out, a new thermo has been fitted but the problem persists,

it seems worse when the central heating is on , and you struggle to relite the pilot unless you put a hot tap on,i've cleaned the two miro switches and smeared them with a little vasealine.
thing is we have been on holiday for two weeks and it was still lit when we got back .

any idea's

rich

Sponsored Links
These are really very solidly built boilers but do need someone who understands them.

I recently repaired one that was 25 years old with a conventional flue.

It was in very clean condition even though its about four years since I last serviced it.

It turns out the Chinese owner watched me service it then and now copies what I did each year!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Reminds me of a chines restaurant i worked in they had two keston c170 boilers. Obviously one of them decided they knew what they were doing and had a go, when I got there, all that was left was a big pile of bits from both boilers.

Had to completely rebuild both before i could even see what was wrong. Then they wanted me to make there wok range burn hotter and they needed bigger flames, they couldnt understand why i wouldnt do it.

So they drilled the injectors out themselves last I heard.

James

Reminds me of when i took a lady friend to the local chinese restaurant , she had known me since i was a boy and new what i had alway done for a living.
As we ate i mentioned i had worked in these kitchens a few times to which she replied genuinely ""your full of surprise i didn`t know you where a chef as well". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

have taken out the pilot and cleaned it.

is their any way to adjust the pilot ??.

driving us mad

rich

hi all,

.....it seems worse when the central heating is on , and you struggle to relite the pilot unless you put a hot tap on,i've cleaned the two miro switches and smeared them with a little vasealine.

What do you mean by this. Lighting the pilot has nothing to do with putting the hot tap on. Just press in the square pilot button and press the ignitor underneath.

Unless the boiler is overheating or the overheat thermostat is faulty and you are colloing it down by running the hot tap (circulating cooler water round the boiler).

The overheat stat is wired in series with the thermocouple.

Most magnetovalve retention problems on a boiler of this age is as a result of excessive voltage drop on the connections and o/h stat rather than t/c problems.

Tony

wow! took me a bit to work that lot out as i am only a lowly bricky.

but anyhow , when just the heating is switched on and the pilot has gone out the pump will still pump the un heated water, to relit the boiler i do as you discribe gasguru and wait for the sound of the gas igniting , but i8t takes a lot of tries to get it going with just the heating on , when the bathroom tap is put on the boiler usualy restarts second time.

thinking of the comment on the system overheating/ faulty o/h stat , i have noticed that when the heating is put on after 3/5 minutes the heating/pilot light will go out, this happens nearly eveytime the heating is put on, after this its a just how the boilers feeling that night,

tonight early on its gone out 3/4 times but the last 2 hours its been ok .

hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa

rich

I think you need a competent boiler engineer to sort out your problems!

Are you in Tilehill or Foleshill?

Tony

........i am only a lowly bricky.

Don't undersell yourself, I once worked with a brickie who'd served part of his apprenticeship on Hampton Court's chimneys. Having seen the quality of his work I had great admiration for the skill involved. Although I can plaster as good as most pro's brickwork's something I am rubbish at (unless it rendered afterwards).

I'm assuming the pressure gauge indicates about 1 to 1.5 bar. Your boiler appears to be overheating and could be a multitude of things. You need to find someone experienced of older Vaillants.

I am quite good at brickwork but find plastering very difficult!

I would not attempt plastering anything larger than a bricked up doorway and thats only in my own property!

Most of the skill is getting the mix just right and using the most appropriate plaster in the first place.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back