older cable

asc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me an idea of the age of a cable in a lighting circuit with no earth (presumably pre 1967?) looks like aluminium 3 strands totalling 1.29mm2 with rubber insulation, then covered in fabric, then encased in lead.

Sponsored Links
IIRC it is from roughly between 1910 and 1935 ish (really quite old)

Sponsored Links
yeah, if its got a lead sheath it will be pre-1950s, and as rubber conductor insulation has an expected lifetime of approx 25 years... just don't touch it at all until you replace it (which should be ASAP), or it could crumble inside* and IR could go down like a lead balloon :eek:

*more likely at the terminations where air can get at it easier

For those who don't know, here is some lead cable I just got from my garage :LOL:

The rubber was in suprisingly good condition :)

IMGP2255.jpg

asc said:
Can anyone give me an idea of the age of a cable in a lighting circuit with no earth (presumably pre 1967?) looks like aluminium 3 strands totalling 1.29mm2 with rubber insulation, then covered in fabric, then encased in lead.
then there is an earth, its just made of lead rather than copper.

bit like with pyro or SWA today.

the recs have loads of lead and paper based cables in the ground and i don't beleive they are in any hurry to replace them.

Anyone know if this old lead sheaved cable is worth anything scrap wise?
How much per kg roughly?

I Just pulled loads out that wasn't being used, but was left in when the house was re-wired years ago.
Cheers
Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back