Older wiring

• Thread starter 2scoops0406
  • Start date

2scoops0406

This should go in Electrics, but as it's not important (well to me anyway!) it might as well go here.

In my old house, an 18th century cottage, I embarked upon a partial rewire of the house as half of the sockets were running off a single spur :eek: When I was doing the necessary cabling, I came across a bit of cable that could be described as two core, but the sheathing was lead (presumably the earth, well i used it as the earth anyway) What is all that about then ?

BTW, to replace this piece of cable would have been a right PITA. Also the house hasn't burnt down yet :)

Sponsored Links
This is lead sheathed cable, is ancient and an even bigger PITA to fault find when it goes wrong than it would be to replace....

Eddie M said:
....... BTW, to replace this piece of cable would have been a right PITA. Also the house hasn't burnt down yet :)

Fortunately, Tedward, nothing has gone wrong yet ... Now that would be a PITA !
Sorry Edward, you knew what was coming, and you know what you should do .... Otherwise you'll never forgive yourself !
P

I don't live there anymore :!: I extended the cable by wrapping the new earth around the old lead sheathing :!: I should probably tell them, I feel guilty now .... but then perhaps they've had it rewired.

Sponsored Links
Bet some current - not a lot - would flow twixt wire and lead ....
Perhaps the occupiers just aint around anymore .... :cry:

Back