Olive Puller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyway bought and used the 'Olive Puller' made by Monument ? It's the one that screws onto the compression fitting. I have to remove the olives from the pipes that supply a shower...the pipes come out of the wall at the back of the mixer and I can't get a regular olive 'cutter' or a hacksaw onto the old olives. This tool seems ideal !

Thanks,
Doug

P.S. I've always wondered.......why does an 'isolation valve' have an arrow on it showing the direction of flow ? Does it really matter which way round it's fitted ?

Sponsored Links
because the ball was put in one way and then just basically clipped in place...

so it doesn't really matter when the valve is open... but when its closed the pressure (if the wrong way) /could/ blow the ball out/make it leak

Or so I've been lead to belive, I may be wrong. :)

....that was a quick reply !! Now the mystery of the isolation valve is solved what about the olive puller?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The olive puller works for olives on pipes which have not been overtightened. If some gorilla has managed to put a neck in the pipe, the olive puller won't work.

I have one . Success rate on 15mm about 8 from 10. 22mm about 2 from 10.

What's wrong with a junior hacksaw and a electrical test screwdriver £1.99 works every time?

The thumbwheel adjusting Footprint 9's which are shown on the same page are an indespensible non slip plumbing tool, no more skinned nuckles.

...olive puller arrived, old olives removed in a couple of minutes. This tool is well worth buying if you need to get olives off from difficult places ...very quick and easy to use.

oilman said:
The olive puller works for olives on pipes which have not been overtightened. If some gorilla has managed to put a neck in the pipe, the olive puller won't work.

Oilman - why would a gorilla be working on pipework?

And anyway, surely crimping the olive is a sure-fire way of stopping the fitting blowing off under pressure? Or do you have a better method?

Softus

why would a gorilla be working on pipework?
Companero, perhaps this "oilman" he mean guerrilla? Who say El Che is dead?

Hasta la vitoria siempre!

Softus said:
Oilman - why would a gorilla be working on pipework?

And anyway, surely crimping the olive is a sure-fire way of stopping the fitting blowing off under pressure? Or do you have a better method?

Softus

They've got to earn a living somehow, unless they're diy gorillas, but rest assured there's quite a few going round doing up compression joints.

Crimping olives is NOT the way to seal the joint, in fact it is more likely to cause the joint to leak. What sort of pressure do you have on pipes that is going to cause them to blow off? If you have that sort of pressure, you should be using a different type of joint, and ALL the fittings, (taps, valves, water tank) would have to be rated to take the pressure.

The correct way to test the joints is to do a hydraulic test, not over-tighten it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back