On electric cookers, are the max kw very important?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to buy an electric freestanding oven, looking around most appliances have a max kw use of 10-11. If my electrician has said I have to find one under 9.5kw (41amps) Can I purchase a cooker over 9.5 kw ? or does it not really matter? ( i do a lot of cooking and don't want the breaker to go all the time) I have been given conflicting information so trying to clear it up! thank you.

Sponsored Links
I don't think that asking the same question again in a new thread is going to clear up your confusion, and is a little impolite too. If you didn't understand something in the original thread, why not ask back there?

I don't think that asking the same question again in a new thread is going to clear up your confusion, and is a little impolite too. If you didn't understand something in the original thread, why not ask back there?

Sorry I did not realise it was impolite, I only joined up a few days ago so obviously don't know the rules yet. I was only trying to clear something up regarding the kw.

This is the truth - honest.

On one 6mm² cable with a 30A fuse or 32A mcb you may have a cooker up to 15kW.

If your electrician will not connect it then you should employ someone else.

Sponsored Links
Thank you!!! sorry for not posting in old thread. You have been a great help, just wanted it clarified as had mix info today....no more questions now I promise :)

This is the truth - honest.

On one 6mm² cable with a 30A fuse or 32A mcb you may have a cooker up to 15kW.

That is "The Truth" Amy 1806.

With respect to your previous post regarding this issue, although your electrician has given you some sensible advice, his calculation seems to be based on full load, but the loading of cooking appliance will allow for diversity to be calculated. Which rule of thumb for a domestic appliance allows, 15kW appliance on a 32A MCB and 6.00mm cable can carry 32A quite safely.
Unless there is something we are not being told with respect to the method of installation?
Such as the circuit is routed within thermal insulation!
Thank you!!! sorry for not posting in old thread.
You are forgiven, this time ;)

I haven't been informed about any changes re; installation so presuming it is normal. Thank you all for your help, again very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back