one coat exterior gloss

Growler, we should have a "peace pipe" hehe. Yes, i have used Exterior One Coat Gloss. Though best one i have used is Sandtex one though it tends to lose its Gloss to soon for my liking. Also, i have had so many people (not painters i.e. general public) tell me that they used a One Coat Exterior Gloss on there house for alot of it to be flaking, cracking & easilly chipped within 1 year of painting. The thing i find about One Coat Exterior Gloss is the surface prior to painting must be rubbed down greatly to as if it is an undercoat surface to provide a good key.

Sponsored Links
Third_Eye said:
Growler, we should have a "peace pipe" hehe. Yes, i have used Exterior One Coat Gloss. Though best one i have used is Sandtex one though it tends to lose its Gloss to soon for my liking. Also, i have had so many people (not painters i.e. general public) tell me that they used a One Coat Exterior Gloss on there house for alot of it to be flaking, cracking & easilly chipped within 1 year of painting. The thing i find about One Coat Exterior Gloss is the surface prior to painting must be rubbed down greatly to as if it is an undercoat surface to provide a good key.

It's not a dig at you really Third_Eye - It's just the myths surrounding One Coat Gloss that bugs me.

To prove my point, if you were to just wash the old gloss surface (don't rub it down) it still wont flake off. It's self undercoating :eek: that's the beauty of it.

We're not talking about gloss on gloss like we used to have problems with.This is a completely different product and painters are notoriously slow to catch on.

I can remember the times when if you used a roller, you were viewed as a cowboy...same with masking tape. :LOL:

Sorry to drag on debate about one coat but i have seen flat doors glossed with one coat gloss over previously painted surfaces & they have chipped and flaked at areas. Reason is one coat is to thick and it needs a good rub down prior to over coating. Also, self undercoating means, "no undercoat required" it does not mean, "no rubbing down required to provide good key (as self undercoating)" Maybe i am wrong !

Third_Eye said:
Maybe i am wrong !
Debate continues:
I was giving an example of adhesion when I said you don't have to rub down - sticks like **** to a blanket. Never have I seen it chip off.

Another extreme example: Take a shiny glossed radiator - sugar soap it - dont' rub it down, apply self undercoating One Coat Gloss, it wont flake / chip / and you get a far thicker coat than ordinary gloss.

Been using it at least 15 years....never had a problem, either with the paint or with a customer. :)

Sponsored Links
Well thank goodness that's sorted I was just about to bang your heads together! :rolleyes:

BTW what do you both think of Sadolin for exterior woodwork?

tigger said:

Now there's a coincidence :eek: Just bought some Antique pine 6year Quick drying woodstain today for an outside and seeing as "one of us" round here ;) is mad keen on reading what's on the tin.....I couldn't resist a peek :D

Get this: PREVIOUSLY COATED WOOD - Ensure that surfaces are clean and dry.Previously woodstained surfaces in good condition should only need to be washed down with warm water and detergent, allowing to dry before application. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well hush my mouth......no mention of rubbing down or sandpaper. :cool: [/i]

My take on this...

I have never had a problem with flaking - fact!

Nor me

Never has it flaked on plastic gutters and downspouts - fact
!

I wouldnt..gloss on plastic rainwater pipes gutters etc should be thinned a little..if you do this with one coat gloss it losses it sheen, plus, some of it it to brittle to cope with the expansion and contraction of the plastic..especially if its got polyurethane in it

There is no problem with adhesion either on top of ordinary gloss or on top of itself -fact!

I think there is...when you rub it down it goes stringy and can come of in fine strips

One coat gloss is a poor paint with a lot of cheap pigment. It doesn't flow and only covers in one coat if you put it on with a trowel. I've never seen a good pro use it, they all use primer/undercoat/ 2 topcoats.

I agree with 'Himmler' totally

I dont think it had nowhere near the same gloss refelctance as normal gloss

As for 'self undercoating' well yes..to a degree but it doesnt adhere to a surface as such..it sticks to it...rather like cling film on a balloon.

So you would still need a lot of rubbing down before hand to provide a decent key.

I used to keep a litre tin in the van in case of emergencies...but didnt like using it as a rule..i think you can all walls tell what it is when prepping it.

Other problem with it...takes ages to dry.

Did you all know Leyland have brought out one of those one coat gloss'es...its called...'Twice'!

tigger said:
Well thank goodness that's sorted I was just about to bang your heads together! :rolleyes:

It's good Stain though provided the state of wood is in good condition. Also, "growler" the topic of paint that is being brought into question is "One Coat Exterior Gloss" & not "Antique pine 6year Quick drying woodstain". Therefore, every different type of paint/stain has different preperation procedures. All i explained previously is "One Coat Exterior Gloss" is 'self undercoating' but it is does not mean 'no rubbing down required'. Though i am aware that some products require no rubbing down, as this is stated on tin but if not stated on tin then it is stated on further info via "pdf" format via web :LOL: . Yes, "Zampa" i know about the leyland one coat gloss which is DREADFULL paint indeed. :LOL:

Growler said:
tigger said:

Now there's a coincidence :eek: Just bought some Antique pine 6year Quick drying woodstain today for an outside and seeing as "one of us" round here ;) is mad keen on reading what's on the tin.....I couldn't resist a peek :D

Get this: PREVIOUSLY COATED WOOD - Ensure that surfaces are clean and dry.Previously woodstained surfaces in good condition should only need to be washed down with warm water and detergent, allowing to dry before application. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well hush my mouth......no mention of rubbing down or sandpaper. :cool: [/i]

Hmm sure it dont metion to use a scourer pad or a strip of scotchbright?
Sandpaper 'scratchmarks' would show thro the woodstain.

I'm not a lover of non drip once stuff. get quite irritated when i come to rub a door / skirting down to find old paint film gloss on gloss comes off in sheets like bloody cling film :mad: Tho if I do gloss on gloss like a rad/ plastic gutters, bare copper etc I use ordinary dulux trade, thinned like i feel it will give a good flow out without too high a build so as not to make it look frumpy :LOL:

innit hot. :LOL:

Brilliant weather indeed "confidentincompetent". Also, i will tell ya story about non-drip gloss "confidentincompetent". A client bought all the paint himself and i used HIS selection of paint which he TOLD me to use Oil Based Crown und/gloss in PBW on doors & facings, but he demanded for me to use Crown non-drip gloss in PBW on his skirtings as he did not want any gloss on his carpet (HEHE). Anyway job was perfect but then he phoned me back DEMANDING that his skirtings to be re-painted. So i arrived at his address and what the problem was his skirtings were nearly yellow (i.e. yellowing) but his doors & facings were still PBW. Which i explained it was due to his desire to use non-drip on skirtings. In other words due to the evidence of which explained i believe that Crown non-drip has a problem with premature yellowing. Just thought i would share this you all. :rolleyes:

Third_Eye said:
Brilliant weather indeed "confidentincompetent". Also, i will tell ya story about non-drip gloss "confidentincompetent". A client bought all the paint himself and i used HIS selection of paint which he TOLD me to use Oil Based Crown und/gloss in PBW on doors & facings, but he demanded for me to use Crown non-drip gloss in PBW on his skirtings as he did not want any gloss on his carpet (HEHE). Anyway job was perfect but then he phoned me back DEMANDING that his skirtings to be re-painted. So i arrived at his address and what the problem was his skirtings were nearly yellow (i.e. yellowing) but his doors & facings were still PBW. Which i explained it was due to his desire to use non-drip on skirtings. In other words due to the evidence of which explained i believe that Crown non-drip has a problem with premature yellowing. Just thought i would share this you all. :rolleyes:

Ta for that. As it happens next wek got to do a 'clean up job' walls and trim only, As ever I'll use ordinary trade gloss (dulux).

That q/d sadolin is ok but find colours are garish and jeeeez wouldnt like to be putting water based on in this heat :LOL: :LOL:

confidintcompetent: How do you know that the paint you're painting over was One Coat Gloss? unless you applied it yourself. It does not come off in sheets, this is a myth. As for thinning ordinary gloss to paint rads/ gutters etc....never would I thin gloss.

Zampa: ...when you rub it down it goes stringy and can come of in fine strips. What on earth are you rubbing paint down with and why so hard , it must look rough, mine's like glass.

Third-Eye:.. every different type of paint/stain has different preperation procedures. All i explained previously is "One Coat Exterior Gloss" is 'self undercoating' but it is does not mean 'no rubbing down required'
Good point and one which I'm trying to make, I never said no rubbing down required but........to illustrate my point about adhesion and One Coat Gloss if you didn't rub down a sill and were to just wash it and paint it, it still wouldn't shell off because it sticks.....you can plough it on and it's beautiful stuff.

I've run a challenge to the myth makers, sneerers, scoffers and (i'm a better painter than you, cos i use undercoat merchants) for years now.
I show them a door/casing/rad/sill etc.... I let them pick it - poke it - scratch it and not one can tell me what it is, and when I tell them, they're shocked :eek: I repeat...never has any of my gloss or my partners gloss shelled off, and we've applied hundreds of gallons. Fact.

In mine and my partners experience...most of the people that sneer at One Coat Gloss, never actually use it :!:

It's all in the mind. :LOL:

There is another factor here though...customers like to see undercoat going on..same as they like to see preparation....its all part of it.

Anyone remember half n half?... :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back