One cold rad upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi from a newbie

I've recently moved house and the heating /hot water works fine, apart from one upstairs rad that stays cold. Both pipes to it are also cold. I've bled it and water comes out and drained off some water via the bleed screw and it fills up again. The pin on the TRV moves freely. I've locked off all the other rads (2 downstairs, 3 upstairs) to try and encourage it, but to no avail. Any ideas??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well you live and learn!

I've only been in the house a couple of months, and the rad's never worked in that time

What boiler do you have, and is the system sealed or open vented?

the boiler is a Gloworm Ultimate (I guess about 20 years old), which seems to work ok and runs quietly. The boiler is downstairs (immediately below the cold rad) and the pump is upstairs (the pump is a Grunflos and is quiet too)

turn the boiler /pump off

close both valves

get yourself a tray or similar to drain the rad into

once its off

open the valves one at a time into a bucket and see what happens :idea:

I've been distracted on other projects this week, but today have undone the TRV side of the rad and drained it. Water flows when the TRV is turned on. Unfortunately the lockshield nut appears seized and won't budge, but I don't think any water is flowing from that side when the valve is opened, as nothing comes out of the TRV side. I was going to drain the system down to remove the lockshield completely, but the drain valve seems to be seized as well, as no water comes out and if I open bleed valves upstairs water flows through them. It's turning into a bit of a drama!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back