One radiator is cold

If it works with the head removed then the head is faulty,not the valve

Most heads are NOT interchangeable

Some same make heads do fit other same make valves

Usually there is very little price between a replacement head and a complete valve,so probably best get new complete valve and just swap the heads

On some heads,you can screw in the part that operates the valvepin,but you wont get accurate readings

Make and model/picture helps lots

Sponsored Links
So glad I found this site! 2 radiators in house been off for weeks and was freezing.Followed above suggestion and had them both back on in 5 mins. Thanks for the great advice :D

hi all

as you can tell from my username, i am a complete newbie :)

I have just had an engineer round to fix a non working rad in a bedroom, it had not been working for 4 years now - he fixed it in 30 seconds.

watching him inspired my into getting some knowledge, and fixing the one remaining problem i have...the non working rad in my kitchen.

the engineer was pushed for time, so only had a brief look - he removed the TRV and fiddled with a little pin, but this didn't get it to work.

The pipes feeding the rad are cold.

After reading this thread I am going to turn off the heating system, turn the TRV's on all the other rads to zero, then turn on the heating system. - However - if this does not work can anyone recommend any other things I can try? as its bitterly cold in the kitchen at the moment!!

any help is greatly appreciated :)

many thanks
dave the total newbie

Sponsored Links
hi there,
in our bedroom upstairs we have 3 radiators, one has gone totally cold so
after following the great advice on this site which was involving hammering the side where the TRV is and also turning off one of the other radiators, the radiator came warm so was working ok....however when i turned the other radiator back on......another (the 3rd in the room) radiator went cool.......ARGGHH.......
then the heating went off and now its back on the original radiator that was cold is still cold and the other two work fine...........what can i do....its freezing...... thanks..... :(

If it works with the head removed then the head is faulty,not the valve

Most heads are NOT interchangeable

Some same make heads do fit other same make valves

Usually there is very little price between a replacement head and a complete valve,so probably best get new complete valve and just swap the heads

On some heads,you can screw in the part that operates the valvepin,but you wont get accurate readings

Make and model/picture helps lots

Not sure if this how its done but here goes:-

I have read the comments about faulty TRV's but I can not get the top off mine !!! I have turned it anticlockwise, am i doing it right ? Please can you help. the make is a westherm if that helps.
Thanks

I just though I would thank you for this great little thread, I have just made my whole house warm again. I couldn't afford a plumber but now it all works perfectly ! Woo !

"Ok well that bulbous thing that you turn the rad off with is a trv. Now what happens is they can shut off and then not re- open. There is a pin inside that operates up an down, opening and closing the valve. What you will find is that if you take the head off the valve the pin will be down and thus the valve turned off. So to rectify this push on the pin with pliers or a hammer, give it a few gentle taps and the it will pop back up and the rad will then work."

If I see you in a pub I will buy your drinks all night.
I was going to phone a plumber as i had 2 rads that were stone cold and as winter will be soon here the wife was giving me grief.
I had it in my head that i needed a power flush until I read this thread.

God I love the internet ( and also Prf.Plum)

Cheers for the help

Thanks for the tip about the thermostat pin, this fixed my issues today also.
Many thanks.

I must say, that I've visited this site many times for solutions to problems in the house and this radiator one was another. I felt as though I had to sign up and thank all those people that offer their advice all of the time.
Yup, I have a broken thermostatic radiator valve (Myson) and as soon as I took it off the radiator started to fill up with lovely hot water.
I'm a little of tired being in the house with the rooms being about 58F/14C and this should sort it out now, thanks a lot!

I have the same problem with a Myson TRV in the spar eroom (mother-in-law coming next week so need to get it fixed). One problem to start with - how do you get the cover off the TRV?

I used a little gentle persuasion with a flathead screwdriver.
There's no damage if you're not too rough with it!

I'm sure that there are more professional ways, but I couldn't see one!

Thanks - I've prised off the top - looks like that piece is largely cosmetic and is about the size of a 50 pence piece. Now can't see what to do to get inside the next bit (kind off white grill with the 0-6 scale on it).

Re-reading this thread it looks like it's the head I'm asking for adice on how to remove it to get to the pin etc. Does it screw off or what?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back