One-shot gloss any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Having lightly sanded existing gloss on existing woodwork, is the one-shot type gloss product actually any good? Or is it really worth undercoat + numerous coats of gloss?

I'm not so bothered about the cost as the time...

Thanks

slip

Sponsored Links
In a word, no.

My dad brought me some Dulux one coat, No chance one coat i wish.

Its ok for getting out of a tight spot..otherwise no I dont rate it at all

one coat = one word - cr*p

buy a decent undercoat, wickes trade is good, apply 1 coat in morning and a 2nd by late evening it will be ready to gloss by mid afternoon the following day

Sponsored Links
Unless its white on white or blue on blue etc etc.

I must confess that even then I avoid it as a DIY'er but at a pinch...or a free tin...its OK for the above

i am a pro decorator and usually i would normally say no way to one coat gloss but it does get you out of tight spots and i only use it if really absolutely 100 % necessary!!
try using eggshell or satinwood , can usually get away with 1 coat on good wood work.
phil

Yep..

Any eggshell or satin wood are also a good base for strong colours that dont cover very well, can make the difference between two coats and three

Or if you use an undercoat ask em in the store to mix it up the same colour as the gloss by using the code for an eggshell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back