One side of house lighting not working!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Experts,

I'm in need of some help. One side of my upstairs lights (3 lights +1 bathroom vent out of total 8 upstairs lights and 2 vents) have stopped working (sockets work ok). Have checked the following and remain at a loss to understand what might be wrong.

CHECKED
1. Light connections all ok
2. Consumer box appears ok (not tripped and specific connections for upstairs lighting (of which there are 2 are both tight).

Not sure what else I could do?? Any advice would be very gratefully recieved.

Many thanks,

Anya

Sponsored Links
You need to check you have power at the cieling rose chances are its a lose connection at a fitting or at worse a broken cable in he attic

Thanks for quick reply. Will check and come back to you. Will take some work in the loft though...

Appreciate your advice. Thank you.

best to check for power at the cieling rose/fitting first unless you think a cable is broken eg someones been up there rooting about.Also some mcbs in the board may look as though they are on but arent they need turning off then on again try that first

Sponsored Links
If the fault is a broken neutral conductor, everything 'downstream' of the fault could be live - including the neutrals. :eek:

Chances are the fault will be at either the last working fitting or the first faulty fitting on the cable run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back