One-way Lighting Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , Im looking for some advice with one-way lighting, I have an existing lighting circuit in the house, wired loop-in ceiling rose method.

I currently have 2 lights in the study upstairs wired on 2 seperate switches so they operate independently. What i would like to do is have both lights operating on 1 switch and remove the other switch.

What would be the simplest way to acheive this? I have searched the forums and reference topic but can't find a wiring diagram showing 2 lights on a single switch

many thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to disconect the cables to the light you no longer wish to be operated on the switch you intend to remove.
Then take a twin and earth between that and the other light fitting. Terminating across the live, neutral and earth of each light. so they are linked together. Then that 1 switch will operate both lights.
Remember the loop must be continued in the rest of the circuit, if the light to be disconnected from the switch is not the last in line.

If you are very lucky and the two lights are the last on the circuit then you can just use the 'loop' cable between the two as the switched Line and Neutral to the second light. Just remove the switch wire from the second light.
This assumes that there are no other feeds taken off the cable between as well via junction boxes above.

Sponsored Links
Surely there is a very simple way to do this:

Assuming the two lights are on the same circuit on the fuseboard (almost 100% it will be).

In the switch box you should have two cables.
There should therefore be two red (or brown) wires and two black (or blue) wires

Put both reds in com on the switch and both blacks in L1 on the one gang switch. Voila!

No need to change any of the fixed wiring at all.

Surely there is a very simple way to do this:

Assuming the two lights are on the same circuit on the fuseboard (almost 100% it will be).

In the switch box you should have two cables.
There should therefore be two red (or brown) wires and two black (or blue) wires

Put both reds in com on the switch and both blacks in L1 on the one gang switch. Voila!

No need to change any of the fixed wiring at all.

Assuming the two existing switches are on the same gang ?

they are 2 different switches in different locations, so i have 1 x twin and cpc at each switch, accessing the wiring is easy enough they go down a conduit in the wall to the switch, so it wouldn't be a problem getting both switch wires to the same switch if this is acceptable or the easier way of doing it ?

they are 2 different switches in different locations, so i have 1 x twin and cpc at each switch, accessing the wiring is easy enough they go down a conduit in the wall to the switch, so it wouldn't be a problem getting both switch wires to the same switch if this is acceptable or the easier way of doing it ?

go with wiring between fittings, it's pointless drawing cables back to the switch, when you can terminate across the lights.

Ahh, yes, clearer. I agree with Derryboy. But you must disconnect the redundant switch wire at the light end if you are going to close over the old switch.

You must not leave live wires in the wall if there's nothing on the end of the wire to show that its there!

ok fantastic thanks a lot for the advice, I will make sure i pull the redundant switch wire out before patching over where the switch used to be ! thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back