Only one side of radiator has water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't quite figure this one out myself. Bear with me as I'm not overly familiar with central heating & its associated jargon - I'm just running with the manuals & some internet info on maintenance.

System is running from a Baxi 105e Combi boiler (www.baxi.co.uk has manuals).

Prior to inspection for a new maintenance contract as the warranty has just run out, I thought I'd re-pressurise the system & bleed the rads.

Pressure has gone up ok and a few of the rads expelled some air, but one of them only seems to be half full no matter what I try. Its not full halfway up, but on only one side/panel (its a double panel radiator [don't know the technical jargon for this?]).

The back panel is fine, bled ok and now spits water out. The front panel does nothing, not even hiss air. There doesn't seem to be any kind of valves between the two panels to stop water getting into it, but I'm at a loss. Air lock perhaps?

Can anyone suggest how to fix this?

Will leaving it as is do any damage?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Try tapping the radiator with a rubber mallet.

Sponsored Links
Double panel radiators normally have a bleed nipple for each panel since they are connected together at the bottom only by the entry and exit pipe assemblies so each panel has to be bled separately. If your radiator is not like this then there must be a connection at the top which has become blocked. don't confuse the straps joining the two radiator panels together at the top with pipes. I would double check for a bleed nibble at the top failing which if you can identify a pipe connection at the top then the radiator probably needs flushing with a radiator cleaner to remove any obstruction.

It bleeds at both sides. One side spits water, the other doesn't. Haven't had the opportunity to try bashing it yet as I had to go away from home on business and I gave up for the evening in question.

oilman said:
Try tapping the radiator with a rubber mallet.
Hi,

I have the exact same problem as this other person.

One of my double radiators is hot on the back panel from top
to bottom, but the *front* panel is only hot on the bottom half;
the top half is warm though.

I bled the back panel successfully - hiss, then a drip of water so I stopped.

I then tried to bleed the front panel, I did manage to get the most pathetic of hisses out for a while, but now nothing. No air or water will come out of this bleed valve.

The radiator is a Contour one (if that means anything).

So, why am I to hit it with a mallet? And where abouts should I hit it?
Am I trying to dislodge some muck near the valve? Or am I trying
to get some air to swap places with some water so it can escape?

Why doesn't the water just come out when I open the valve? Doesn't
it want to escape?

Finally, my Worcester combi boiler says system pressure is at 1.5 bar
(in the green AOK zone, half way between the 1 and 2, of course)

Can anyone elaborate on the mallet method?

Thanks. :)

Antiriad2097 said:
Can anyone suggest how to fix this?
The vent hole might be blocked - if it is, then close the rad valve furthest from the vent, take out the vent plug, stick a needle into the hole, stick your thumb over the resulting deluge of water, turn off the other valve (just by your wet feet and below your wet face), then put the vent plug back in.

Antiriad2097 said:
Will leaving it as is do any damage?
Probably - if air is left in the rad it will accelerate the process of turning your steel rad into rust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back