Oozing tap - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me stop an oozing tap?

We have an Astracast Finesse single lever tap in our kitchen, about 2 years old, and it has started over the past 8 or so months to ooze water from the join between bottom segment and the segment on which the spout of the tap turns. It only oozes when the spout is in certain positions, but is getting worse i.e. oozes more and in more positions.

I used to prevent it by trying to "tightening" up the segments but now this doesn't work. The tap doesn't drip and the stream/pressure of water flow is fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
By the sounds of it, you have Quarter turn taps, is this correct ?.

If so, your ceramic discs are worn, you can try and find exact replacements, or replace the whole tap assembly.

Al

Yeah, I thought you'd say that but hoped you wouldn't.... Thanks anyway!

Sponsored Links
I would put the blame on worn O rings which fit around the stem of the fawcet / spout which is hidden inside the main tap body. You can usually replace these if there is a little grub screw at the back of the main tap boby just below where the spout joins undo that, with firm to serious pressure you should be able to draw the fawcet spout up and out and change the O rings the manufacturers are usually very good if you ask nicely they may well send them for free if not they are sure to cost only a few quid, alternatively you can get them from the sheds.

You dont have to turn the water off just put a towel around the base of the tap as you will only get whats in the spout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back