Open circuit neutral

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have an open circuit on the neutral conductor when testing ring continuity. I've taken off all the socket fronts i could find but didn't locate the problem. I know i've got to find it but in the meantime what's the worst case scenario if this situation is left as is until i can find the problem? If the open circuit was on the phase i'd put in a 20A MCB. Should I do this anyway?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Of course you should - just as much current flows in the neutral conductor as the line.

Put it on a 20A, and disconnect one neutral at the CU. Some sockets will work, some won't.

Then swap which N is connected.

A different set of sockets will work and not work.

You might then have a strong clue as to where the break is.

It is pretty straight forwards to fault find it if you know roughly the cable route:
Disconnect the 2 ends of the ring at the CU
Unplug everything
Connect L&N together on one leg only.
Check the resistance between L&N at each point.
Swop over the L&N link to the other leg
Do the same again.
You should be able to narrow it down to a couple of sockets where the fault lies.

Thanks guys, a couple of great common sense solutions to save my over-tired brain from having to work-out. I need a holiday.

Sponsored Links
Doit the way 123 says...

You should not be trying to find this fault with the circuit energised!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back