Open coil mattress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there it has been roughly 1 week since I purchased an open coil single mattress from a local furniture shop.

The middle section has gone slightly down. When I sleep on it I can’t feel the springs. It is comfortable and nothing is uncomfortable.

How come though the mattress has gone down? The mattress is new.

Went back to the furniture shop and the man said something to do with the inside foam and thats why its gone slightly down. Also said it is fine and to turn the mattress. Most likely saying this to just make us keep it.

Sponsored Links
Doesn’t no one know anything on this matter? No one answered

If id have sold it, I'd have recommended turning the mattress for a longer period.
Hope this helps.

?? Your wording is quite difficult to understand here. Can you reword your sentence?

Surely you shouldn’t have to rotate your mattress straight away especially if its brand new.

I hear people rotate it after a while.

Sponsored Links
I
?? Your wording is quite difficult to understand here. Can you reword your sentence?

Surely you shouldn’t have to rotate your mattress straight away especially if its brand new.

I hear people rotate it after a while.
I can understand why you don't understand.

Most, if not all new mattresses, come with an instruction leaflet. Did you get one and if so have you read it? If I had bought a new matress and it showed immediate signs of sinking, it would go back from whence it came. On the other hand, being aware that beds have a dual purpose, and bearing in mind that the mattress is sinking in the middle, could it be that the sinking in the middle, is caused by the over zealous testing of the other usage? Just saying.

I’m sure one of the mattresses we bought from Laura Ashley said something like turn it once a week for the first three months and then once a month from then on. I know it’s a job and a half to do as it’s quite thick, weighs a ton and, from memory, it had 3,600 springs.

Hi there it has been roughly 1 week since I purchased an open coil single mattress from a local furniture shop.

The middle section has gone slightly down. When I sleep on it I can’t feel the springs. It is comfortable and nothing is uncomfortable.

How come though the mattress has gone down? The mattress is new.

Went back to the furniture shop and the man said something to do with the inside foam and thats why its gone slightly down. Also said it is fine and to turn the mattress. Most likely saying this to just make us keep it.

An open coil mattress is a steel frame with a load of spring coils all clipped together.

the springs are covered with a thick felt either side and then something called a multiquilt - a quilt of foam and polyester with “ticking” on the top (the fabric you see)

What you are seeing happening is some initial settlement of the felt. The edge won’t go down because it’s a wire frame.

once it’s settled, it will stay like that for years until the felt works its way into the springs and polyester layers flatten down as it loses its ability to bounce back.

I suggest turning it regularly, maybe weekly at the the beginning. Alternate flipping the mattress and spinning without flipping.

How many times did you have to re-count?
;)
You bugger! That prompted me to check and as I can’t remember the last time I turned it. I had to turn it to check and while I did I decided to vacuum the dust on the carpet under the middle of the bed that you can’t get at properly and that meant removing the slats which meant going out to the garage to get my electric screwdriver……..anyway, it’s now turned and I will need a shower before I can go out - I‘m still in my boxers but I’m bloody dripping with sweat!

I was wrong about the springs - 3870 according to the label but I was right about the turning. Mind you, it must be 10 years old or even more so might be due for changing? Is it ten years?

39D12B2E-BDC4-4687-B78C-894AFB8D4B78.jpeg

Most, if not all new mattresses, come with an instruction leaflet. Did you get one and if so have you read it? If I had bought a new matress and it showed immediate signs of sinking, it would go back from whence it came. On the other hand, being aware that beds have a dual purpose, and bearing in mind that the mattress is sinking in the middle, could it be that the sinking in the middle, is caused by the over zealous testing of the other usage? Just saying.
I didn't receive any sort of manual.

I should have just purchased it from a well known retailer like Wayfair

An open coil mattress is a steel frame with a load of spring coils all clipped together.

the springs are covered with a thick felt either side and then something called a multiquilt - a quilt of foam and polyester with “ticking” on the top (the fabric you see)

What you are seeing happening is some initial settlement of the felt. The edge won’t go down because it’s a wire frame.

once it’s settled, it will stay like that for years until the felt works its way into the springs and polyester layers flatten down as it loses its ability to bounce back.

I suggest turning it regularly, maybe weekly at the the beginning. Alternate flipping the mattress and spinning without flipping.
I did a mistake getting an open coil. Especially from a local shop.

I was better off ordering a mattress from wayfair

I bought a new one a couple of years ago, claimed to be blue memory foam, supposed to cause less sweating in bed. Cost around £70 from Ebay and arrived in a tight box, with instructions for it to be released from the box and left unused 24 hours to fully expand. It's a single sided, no turn. No complaints at all, it is very comfortable. Not much weight to it. My one complaint is if you sit or put your weight on the edge, it goes quite flat. The shape of it, hasn't changed at all.

Sponsored Links
Back