OPEN FIRES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I HAVE JUST MOVED INTO AN VICTORIAN SEMI. THERE IS REPLICA CAST IRON FIRE FITTED. I AM WANTING TO GET THE FIRE PLACE REMOVED TO HAVE OPEN FIRE. I HAVE READ ABOUT FLUE LINING THE CHIMNEY, DOES THIS HAVE TO BE DONE. I HAVE LOOKED UP THE CHIMNEY AND THERE IS NO METAL FLUE LINING NOW. ONCE THE FOR CURRENT FIREPLACE IS REMOVED CAN I HAVE AN OPEN FIRE WITHOUT THE FLUE LINING? IF NOT DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH I AM LOOKING TO PAY.
MANY THANKS
ANDY

Sponsored Links
the old chimney would just be brick with possibly a mortar lining
you'll not know if it needs liner until you have a fire if it leaks you'll smell the smoke in the other rooms it past by.
first light a sheet of newspaper screwed in a lose ball in the hearth to see if the smoke is drawn up
if it does its not been blocked
then you should get it swept before you light a fire to clear old lose soot
about an hour after you have lit your first fire and you have checked your over rooms for smoke smell
go out side for five minutes then come in and check your rooms for smoke again if you're burning coal
and the chimney leaks the smell will hit you like a brick you can't miss it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back