Open Garage Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a garage built in the 70s' with the door sliding upwards and inside. The door has a lock that looks like a handle, you open the lock and twist the handle, it opens the locks (bolts) inside the door and you can open the door. The lock is not working, you can unlock it with the key and twist the handle, but it does not seem to open those actual locks inside. I need to open the door. But not sure where to start, cut it out, or drill the lock, or anything else?

Any advice appreciated.

Attaching pictures of the door and the lock.

View media item 58079
View media item 58080

Sponsored Links
The handle pulls on internal cables which pull the bolts, may have snagged or come adrift inside, a sharp kick to the handle location buckles the door pulling the bolts allowing access you can then fix and push out the buckle from inside.
They are very insecure doors and require a hasp and staple either side externally or similar to be more secure.
Another method is to slip a steel ruler [or other slim tool] down the edge of the door and pop the bolts out.

The handle pulls on internal cables which pull the bolts, may have snagged or come adrift inside, a sharp kick to the handle location buckles the door pulling the bolts allowing access you can then fix and push out the buckle from inside.
They are very insecure doors and require a hasp and staple either side externally or similar to be more secure.
Another method is to slip a steel ruler [or other slim tool] down the edge of the door and pop the bolts out.

Thanks Foxhole, when you say "a sharp kick to the handle location buckles" do you meant I need to deform the handle inside the door, this will allow an access?

I do no think I can lift the bolts as they slide left and right, not up and down.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
I wish i could help you :( :(
But it seems like your garage door is an old one??? Isn't??
So why don't you try to change it by a new garage door opener, believe me i am using the garage door since 2-3 years and till now i didn't got any kind of problem!! :) :) , so i think you try it!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back