Open up the fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have exposed the fireplace by removing the plaster which was covering it. However, I am a complete building and DIY novice, and dont know how to go about opening the fireplace and securing it properly.

If you look at the uploaded images (in the album - FirePlace 2) you will see that there is a lintel that was put up whenever it was closed. So I am worried the wall will partly collapse if I swing a sledge hammer at it.

Any ideas/suggestions will be most welcome and appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Looks like it was crumbling and someone built in a new head.
May then have been used as a fire but looks very small.
Then it was built up completely.

Did one of these a few weeks back. Thunder bolted heavy channel across the chimney breast at high level then acrow propped it before the break out.
The breakout was large as a stove was replacing the fire.
My main concern was avoiding felling the entire chimney fred dibnah style out across the living room floor. :mrgreen:

I made up shuttering to form the new head and raft lintel to support the flue liner and poured it from high level in a single pour in situ.
And of course added in the new re-bar prior to the pour.
My other concern was that the flue sections would drop at my feet but luckily they didn't. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back