opening and reinstating a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to open my chimney breast up for a log burner, but its full of wonky bricks and cement.

Has this been done for any particular reason?

Can I just rip them out, or will it be structural?

Thanks
20220402_134023.jpg

Sponsored Links
that jumble of old bricks has been used to fill up the hole when the original fireback was removed. They should pull out fairly easily, and you will find properly laid bricks in the original, rectangular "builder's opening"

it looks to me like a gas fire might have been previously fitted, venting up a slot near the top.

Soot, rubble and bird skeletons will fall down, so cover your carpet and furnishings.

Your should have your chimney swept and inspected before putting back into use, it might need a liner, and it may have cracks or holes allowing smoke and fumes to escape.

A modern clean-burning multifuel stove is much better than a woodburner (which you may be prohibited from using).

Why would they need to fill it if a fireplace was then put in front? Is it for warmth?

Sponsored Links
Oh! There was a gas fire in there at some point. There was a gas pipe by the side of the chimney breast

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back