Opening up a chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello first post here hopefully you'll look after me, basically I'm looking to reopen a fireplace that has been partially blocked up, I've attached pics of the front room chimney and the back room I'm looking to open should it be straightforward or lintels etc involved.
[/img][/code]

Sponsored Links
There should be a lintel above that blockwork, stick your head in the flue and see.

All I can see is block work as there's a concrete slab with just an opening with the flu going through, I assume the original arch work would still be in place? But I can't see it to be sure

Unless you remove the register plate (slab) or the plaster you wont know for sure but i would hazard a guess at some form of lintel being present.

Sponsored Links
What do you intend to use the fire opening for?

If you go higher, and hack off another, say 600mm x 300 wide in the centre of the c/breast, you might expose a brick arch or even a metal lintel of some kind?

Do not remove the register plate or any throating until you have exposed any existing arch or lintel, & posted a pic back here.

Its foolish to remove the register plate until or unless removing it fits in with future plans - but we dont yet know what your future plans are?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back