Opinions on a oil boiler service bill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently had our HRM Wallster serviced with a few light repairs. It was done by a friend of a friend who is registered (oftec etc).

I was a little shocked when we received the bill today (via post), and to me it seems a little high. I did ask him when he was doing it to warn me for any possible shocks in the cost, but he gave me no warning, or even a ball park figure until i received the bill today.

I should say my suspicion is aroused as the tradesman in question has asked me to do a quote for him (web work) whilst i was waiting for his invoice and his bill is a just a little short of what i quoted him (a at (shown) discounted rate i should add, which i don't feel replicated).

I could be totally wrong with all this and hence i thought i'd ask some fellow professionals for your opinions on the cost.

All the invoice says is :

Work carried out:
• HRM Wallstar service and repairs
• Materials used:
- Oil pump
- Fire and non return valve
- Nozzle
- Sealing rope
- Ignition box

Cost: £436.20 (inc vat)

He was here between 1-2hrs

I have no complaints with the work and he seems to have done a good job. So in theory i shouldn't be complaining. Its just the cost being very similar to what quoted (which is going to take me around 4 days to do).

So can i ask, do you think i got shafted or the cost is ok, or i got a bargain.

Thanks you for your opinions.

Sponsored Links
OMG!! That's not light repair work!! He's replaced half the burner, I think you got of light mate.
Was your boiler giving you a lot of grief, prior to his visit?

OMG!! That's not light repair work!! He's replaced half the burner, I think you got of light mate.
Was your boiler giving you a lot of grief, prior to his visit?

it was cutting out a fair bit, hence we where looking around for an engineer/plumber to have a look. Being honest during the summer i turned it off and just used the immersion for the hot water.

Thanks for the feedback.

Also i should say this is our first oil boiler. Before this we where always used to combi boilers, which may be cheaper to service, repair install etc. So i may be a bit ignorant on the costs for an oil system.

Sponsored Links
Well, as I said, I think you got a bargain for all these repairs.
But to be frank; he's replaced quite a few things though?? But hey at least you're boiler should only need a annual service & nozzle for the next few years!!

Nice work if you can get it.

If there wasn't a fire valve there should have been one.
Replacing it achieved very little unlikely there was anything
wrong with it.
Oil pump could have been the source of the problem.
Replacing ignition box did nothing.

Probably about £150 of parts.

Usual charge for a service on an oil boiler for a clean out is about £100.

So he is on the expensive side. I would have done the whole job for £250 and still walked away happy.

wrong with it.

So he is on the expensive side. I would have done the whole job for £250 and still walked away happy.

That's it, you just play right into the hands of the 'Dirty Tricks of the Trade' mob!! You can't confirm anything you state, you weren't there!!
Christ, if the trade is not already at an all time low.......... :rolleyes:

Being fair to dcawkwell he did assist with giving me an understanding and breakdown of the costs, and basically his opinion. I think it would be very foolish for a punter like me to say to the engineer who did my job, that i know this guy who says he would of done the job for £250. Your right in saying none of you are here to give me a correct quote for a job as different circumstances arise, but all i've asked for is a professional opinion on costs for a typical job like this. I'd prefer honesty, rather then a closed shop response on behalf of the brotherhood of plumbers, as quite frankly this is what makes the trade inherit public distrust.

I have since had a response from HRM boliers and they said the parts would cost £200 + vat, so really the plumber i used charged around £160 for his time. Still a bit expensive , but with this breakdown in mind it seems easier to understand. Perhaps if he broke it down with parts and labor in his invoice i wouldn't be posting this.

I do appreciate all your opinions though.

wrong with it.

That's it, you just play right into the hands of the 'Dirty Tricks of the Trade' mob!! You can't confirm anything you state, you weren't there!!

Yes but I know for sure that in all the oil boilers I have ever gone
to repair I have never had to replace both a pump and a control box at
the same visit.
They can't bother be wrong.
Oil boilers are some of the most reliable pieces of kit on the market.

wrong with it.

Yes but I know for sure that in all the oil boilers I have ever gone
to repair I have never had to replace both a pump and a control box at
the same visit.
They can't bother be wrong.
Oil boilers are some of the most reliable pieces of kit on the market.

Granted, I know full well what you are saying & don't disagree. But we don't know what the guy has been required to replace, we don't know for certain as we were not there.

If I were the OP I'd rest easy in the knowlege that my Ignition box(?)/control box should not go t.ts up on Xmas Day!!

...........I'd prefer honesty, rather then a closed shop response on behalf of the brotherhood of plumbers,..................... :LOL: :LOL:
That made me laff a lot!! See the problems we have trying to get the Lats, Poles, course cowboys & general handymen etc. into the 'brotherhood'!! Many can't read or write, let alone learn the handshake!!!............... :LOL: :LOL:

That's about £300 INCLUDING VAT 20%!!! all I can say
with friends like that you sure don't need enemies
we travel form Suffolk to Cambridgeshire to carry out similar works for the price above (100 mile round trip) how far did your "mate" travel???

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "mates rates" :eek:

wrong with it.

HRM Wallstar does not need a fire valve other than that fitted by manufacturer. This incorporates a non return valve. If this fails, then the pump hunts for fuel, eventually wearing it out. It also causes re-ignition, overloading the spark generator and blowing it, so it is quuite possible that all parts needed replacing. Possibly a little on the high side, as I'msure a bona fide oil technician would not pay anywhere near HRM's quoted price for parts.

Being fair to dcawkwell

I have since had a response from HRM boliers and they said the parts would cost £200 + vat, so really the plumber i used charged around £160 for his time. Still a bit expensive , but with this breakdown in mind it seems easier to understand. Perhaps if he broke it down with parts and labor in his invoice i wouldn't be posting this.

so this guy spent time traveling to you and about 1-2 hours (you aint really specific about the time) and made 160 quid!
do you guys really understand the basis as to why we have to charge a high labour charge?
we have to cover our overheads form van to qualifications and 80 quid an hour isn't really to bad!!!
mates rates or not you have provided a similair quote for web design, considering that doesn't really involve parts what are your labour costs????

Being fair to dcawkwell

so this guy spent time traveling to you and about 1-2 hours (you aint really specific about the time) and made 160 quid!
do you guys really understand the basis as to why we have to charge a high labour charge?
we have to cover our overheads form van to qualifications and 80 quid an hour isn't really to bad!!!
mates rates or not you have provided a similair quote for web design, considering that doesn't really involve parts what are your labour costs????

This is what happens on this forum all the time, Joe Public comes on; I think I've been overcharged!!. Then some brain dead keyboard hero, with limited knowledge, experience or insight into running a business & even less training, knowledge or experience of repairing appliances says; Oh ye mate you've been ripped-off!!

If I take my car to the Garage I've been using for years, to the guy I know & trust, to the guy who's family I know & he says; While we had your car in here we changed the brake pads, it'll save you coming back in a few months. I say thanks Pat, you saved me time & money. I'll not need to worry about my brakes now. The brake pads would be OK for another few thousand miles, but it trust the guys judgement. He's running a business, he's got large overheads, so of course I'll pay top dollar.

OP, oil boilers need a lot of maintenance and with the new regs coming in next year regarding bio-derv, keep his phone number handy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back