Opinions on correct order to fit tiles/taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do the seasoned pros fit there bath and tiles.

I will fit the bath first with the idea to tile down onto it.

Due to the size of the space I will have to chase the wall slightly to lose the lip of the bottom end, around 20mm should be sufficient. I'm keen to try and avoid chasing the tap end as the taps will get pretty close to the wall all of a sudden. (Taps are quite wide given the size of the bath lip)

Obviously it's easiest to fit the taps and waste connections before the bath is fitted, but then I imagine tiling behind the taps would be a real pain.

Connecting the taps after the tiles is done, will be boring I guess scraping knuckles much like when I removed the old suite but assume this to be the lesser of 2 evils?

Thanks
Adam

Sponsored Links
It's best to do as much tiling above the bath as possible before the bath is in place.
So mark the finished height of the bath and batten the walls corresponding to the bottom of the first row up, leave at least half a tile for the first row.
Then just tile and grout everything above the battens and throw the bath in afterwards. If it's going to be a tight fit you may have to leave one end untiled halfway up to get the bath in.
You can fit the taps to the bath with pipe tails coming down before installing it.

+1 for tiling (less a gap) before fitting the bath. Much, much, much easier tiling when you don't have to lean over/stand in the bath, and don't have to worry about dropping things and damaging it.
Here's a thread about my mates bungalow - tiling starts about half way down the first post.

Yes, you still need to tile behind the taps if you can't fit them in the bath first. Not too hard to back butter each one and slot it in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back