Opinon / Advice wanted on Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My mum has just had her old baxi boiler removed and a new combi boiler fitted. Installation finished on Friday, there are however a few points we are unhappy with. Pictures attached.

There are a few issues that I would like advice on before contacting the installers, as we are basically unhappy / concerned.

The scope of the work was:
To remove the baxi boiler and dispose.
Install new Worcester boiler into study and Reroute pipework including gas supply.
Install new thermostatic valves onito all radiators.
Replace two radiators (lounge and study)
Remove hot water tank from cupboard upstairs
Powerflush system
Install Magnaclean unit

There are a few issues, firstly the waste pipe
Apparently they "could not" put an elbow in as it would make it protude too much. But this to me looks shoddy and untidy. Also this goes into the same drain as the rainwater for the gutter?

2wnb8mw.jpg

Secondly the boiler has simply been plugged into a nearby 13A socket. We are refurbishing the study and expect to use this socket, I would have expected a Fused Spur switch? Am I right in the expectation, as I now can't use the socket for anything else.

2w5rtw8.jpg

Thirdly I'm concerned about the run of the gas pipe under the door, and that it looks untidy. Can this be covered with anything? I'm sure i've seen a black capping or similar?

of4hw8.jpg

Fourthly they left two holes in the recently skimmed ceiling (okay were having the walls done aswell, but we shouldn't pick up their tab for plastering?)

so2sck.jpg

Also we requested the old thermostat in the hall was removed. This has been done but the cable simply cut and left in the plaster. Is this okay? Can we just skim over dead cable, or should it be pulled back out?

Would appreciate anybodys advice, as I would like to get them back.

Sponsored Links
Please post your address so I can avoid future work.

Edit: Ok so I'm being a little harsh but pleessse! I mean come on, the ceiling plastering OMG!

The elbow thing I cant work out. Rain water is fine.

If you agreed to have the gas run as it is you can't moan now.

The stat wire is fine, pull it out if you wish (but remember if he had done so and damaged the plaster you would have moaned about that)

Yeah a fuse spur would be best practice (but your plaster would have been damaged)

this isn't the best installation that i've seen but you do have a good boiler which i suppose helps!

I would imagine that the stat was disconected and as such would be able to plaster over. You should check this with a voltmeter at least ( £10 or so from any electrical wholesaler)

I see your problems with the installation and agree but if you tackle the "firm" you may get no joy! Are they worcester registered or accredited? how long is your guarantee??

Your best bet is maybe to contact worcester and ask for an engineer to attend and check the installation! they will do this free of charge and will tell you about any probs in the workmanship or installation! they won't charge you for this!

Then you can go back to the firm and tell them what worcester said! keeps you out of the loop!!

Sponsored Links
Fitting a new heating system is a very invasive job!
were else did u want them to run the gas pipe-over the door? or internally which would have disturbed the house more.If the gas pipe is sleeved were it passes through the wall it appears to be to the regs.Paint it or find a cover unless its in your quote!
The condensate pipe i agree.
Why have your ceiling skimmed if your having a boiler replaced,

Burst rad can happen to anyone
Speak 2 them im sure they will sort condense pipe and carpet strip-remember they arent carpet fitters!

Thanks for the replies. I will check the cable with a multimeter regarding the old stat. I wasn't aware if there were any regs that prevented it being just covered.

The gas run outside wasnt really discussed, and I realise that I have no place to moan with the installed about it. I really only want to to know if there is anything black I could cover it with?

The plaster I can take on the chin if you think this is best practice and have it corrected when the room is re-skimmed. There is another hole not shown on the pictures to the right, about 10cm wide by 30cm long, which was cut for access.

I really think that it should be powered by a fused spur. Should the installer do this, and am I right to expect it? I don't mind them damaging the old plaster in this case (as walls will be reskimmed). I really want my socket back, but don't see that I should have to pay for an electrician to install one.

Cheers for the replies.

Fitting a new heating system is a very invasive job!
were else did u want them to run the gas pipe-over the door? or internally which would have disturbed the house more.If the gas pipe is sleeved were it passes through the wall it appears to be to the regs.Paint it or find a cover unless its in your quote!
The condensate pipe i agree.
Why have your ceiling skimmed if your having a boiler replaced,

Burst rad can happen to anyone
Speak 2 them im sure they will sort condense pipe and carpet strip-remember they arent carpet fitters!

Thanks for the comments. Maybe I was being over critical.

The plastering I will take on the chin. The ceiling was skimmed before we decided on a new boiler.

The cover wasn't in the quote, and I realise I will have to do this myself. Not a problem, but I can't seem to find anything suitable. What should I be searching for??

I think I set to pick holes a little as the pipe looks so tatty.

That does not look anything like a bodged job.If they did everything they itemised on the quote then IMO you have no case.As for fitting carpet track and not putting furniture back.you're having a laugh.

One thing 2 check is the condense pipe from boiler if it is going through wall in 22mm to 1 1/4 outside this is likly to freeze up in winter and will cause you problems.
Should be at least 1 1/4 through wall,and clipped to wall aswell as insulated.
22mm into 1 1/4 should be internal.

1) The condensing pipe is fine to go into the rainwater stack.
.. However, they could of put an elbow as it came out the wall if they really wished, it would of just meant coring through the wall with a slightly bigger core bit than the elbow (then the elbow can push inside the wall neatly!)

2) Best practice is to have a fused spur, but this is obviously more effort and extra work for them, so they have took the quick/cheap option. However, this is still fine and won't affect your boiler.

3) If you agreed the run of the gas pipe with them before they started work, not much can be done about it now. Paint it?

4) Not sure what to say about your plastering, did they make the hole (to run the pipework)? What did it say in your quotation about remidial work?

Cable should be fine to be left in the wall (As long as they checked it was dead!)

Did they move the furniture in the first place? ..Was there a reason they couldn't put it back?

Unfortunately, radiators can 'blow' when having a new installation, and we cannot be held responsible for this.. However, I always make this very clear before I start any job like this. It's the same with your old pipework! (but why did it not blow when they done the powerflush?)

On another note, I noticed your magna clean.. If the top was unscrewed have you even got room to take the magnet out and clean it? .. Or would it hit the ceiling?

:rolleyes:

1: I see where they mentioned about it making it protrude too much now, I didnt realise the elbow would go at the exit of the wall.

Couldn't it straight down the wall, then an elbow with a short piece to run at an angle?

2 Fair enough, I will have a fused spur fitted myself when we have an electrician in at some point.

3. Sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear here. I understand they ran the pipe where they saw fit.

Can anyone advise on how I can cover it myself? I have seen a black cover on some peoples houses outside, perhaps this covers electrical cable not gas.

4. It doesn't. Maybe I will just take it on the chin and expect more detail in future.

Cable I will plaster over and consider that okay. Just wanted to check.

The furniture I have moved back, and refitted the carpet track. Just seemed a bit rude to me, it was chests of drawers.

Unfortunately, radiators can 'blow' when having a new installation, and we cannot be held responsible for this.. However, I always make this very clear before I start any job like this. It's the same with your old pipework! (but why did it not blow when they done the powerflush?)

I don't know as I wasnt here when it was flushed or installed. Appreciate that they can just blow, and it needs replacing. Hazard of the job I guess, don't really have a problem paying for a new radiator.

On another note, I noticed your magna clean.. If the top was unscrewed have you even got room to take the magnet out and clean it? .. Or would it hit the ceiling?
I haven't read the stuff, and I don't know what they have told mum. How often should I clean it? Will try and take it out later.

I think if you painted that pipe black (to match the others) you would hardly notice it. Once its been there a few weeks your'll get used to it.

I haven't read the stuff, and I don't know what they have told mum. How often should I clean it? Will try and take it out later.

No need to take it out, just measure the height of the magna clean itself and check you have that much room above it before the ceiling.

It should be cleaned every time the boiler is serviced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back