Options for boxing in a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The guy who tiled our bathroom and fitted the bath made a cock-up - the bath was fitted too low, so the plastic side and end panels won't fit. I've considered shaving a bit off the bottom of the panels but I'd have to take too much off and it would look a mess. So short of ripping all the tiles off and starting again, what options do I have? The bath is slightly curved along its length which complicates things.

Sponsored Links
raise the bath

Heh, I like simple solutions. The wall is tiled down to the bath though, isn't it going to end up looking a mess when I seal along the edge, the bath will be standing proud of the tiles? I have tried raising it in-situ but obviously its stuck fast.

When you get the seal on between the bath and the tiles you won't be able to see the bottom of the tiles or the edge of the bath anyway. How much does it need to be raised?

Sponsored Links
So assuming the pipes allow the bath to be raised and the bath will need to be depth of the tiles + grout further from the wall, once it is sealed why will it look odd?

You'll have a complete nightmare trying to make a curved bath panel.

I think you're right, cool I'll go down that route. Last time I tried raising it, it wouldn't budge, guess I'll have a more determined bash at it tomorrow. There's also a glass shower panel that'll need shifting up which could get messy with the existing drill holes, but that's another story.
cheers for the replies folks.

For the shower panel, measure the distance between the oles in the wall and the holes in the frame and then make new holes in the frame.

I smell a bodge job about to happen.

It will look bad, if my mum was still alive & she walked in there then she would see it immediately. :D

Yeah, that's why I've put it off for a couple of years, well hate to disappoint but it turned out alright. You wouldn't notice the cut bit, as the panel is pretty curvy. Another job out of the way, until next sunday no doubt :-/

You probably struggled to raise the bath because it will be fixed to the wall with brackets (or at least it should be) The tiles also stop it from being raised.
You could also have removed the bottom row of tiles only then raised it and cut some more tiles to fit. ;) ;)

"options for boxing in a bath"...

errr.. waterproof gloves? an opponent that can swim....soap on the rope?

Removing 5 to 10mm from the bath panel is not overly excessive. Why would it look a mess?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back