Ouside Toilet / Utility conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

looking for info on the folowing...

having the attached outside loo / utility knocked through to the main house. BC hve mad two visits and all OK, final visit due before final finish.

There was already twp sets of lights and a 2G skt in the room with another feed to the outside light and PIR. All working but clipped in etc...

My intention was to simply re-route the cables a little and bury them using the approved conduit covers, re-use the backboxes and maybe replace the fronts as one or two look bad. Other than that leave pretty much as is.

My understanding is that because this was already being used as a toilet / Utility and I am not adding anything to the system (in fact removing the 2G skt) there is no need for Part P or any official sign off?

The system will work as the old one (2 x lights) and the room will have a toilet and shower (not electric) ....not sure if I need to have a passive vent or powered extractor...if so could use the existing security / PIR supply?

all feedback welcome.

Sponsored Links
the minute you said shower it became notifiable..
it's a "location containing a shower or bath" now.. so it's a special location...

Thanks..

So even though BC are inspecting the works and have been 'notified' they will expect me to have a 'qualified' sparkie/person sign it off?

did you notify them that you will be doing electrical work in a special location when you notified them of the rest?
if you paid the fees then THEY will have to test it for you.. at no cost..
if you didn't pay the fees then you can use a registered sparky to do the work who will notify for you ( and you pay him instead )..

Sponsored Links
From recolection we did not specify that we were going to do either....the work ourselves or get someone to do it.

I simply did a basic scaled diagram with photos, gave an indication of the materials to be used...no electrical data though, and that was it.

They attended site twice so far and could see the existing cables bagged up on the outside wall for re-use later. But there was never any discussion on who / how would be doing the work.

ohhh...and yes we paid the fees before starting works etc..

if BC end up doing the test, will they need to see all cables before boxing off etc...to check routing etc?

Or is it as simple as testing for Earth leakage etc....and not workmanship etc..

I really wanted to get the cables all routed and platered / boxed off during the Easter break and BC won't be around until Tues / Wed..

Flipping heck!!!!

So to sumarise...

1 - If the BC accept that they neither requested information on how / who would do the electrics they may be responsible for coming to inspect AND test the works?

2 - Provided I use the existing sustem from the house (feed from Lighting ring) follow good practice in routing / securing / wiring the fittings, and leave this all up for BC to ispect, I should not need to get a Sparky to do anything?

3 - Failing that, get a Sparky to come in and do the work using the existing sytem letting him route / fix and he will also sign it off for BC so they have no other involvement?

There will be no sockets left in the room, only two light fittings at 2.8M high operated by a light pull, an extraxtor although I am not 100% sure if its a reuirement to have a powered extractor (with or without timer?) or a simple vent?

And a lowvoltage Mirror / shaving light

If you have no window in the room you must have a timed extractor
You will need an isolator switch for the fan
All circuits in the room will need to be 30mA RCD protected

Thanks Tale Of..

There are actually two windows one vented Velug (Pitched roof) and a 1M squared opener., does this mean I don't need to fit an extractor...by reg's?

And do you agree that because the room has a shower in it, even though all lights will be out of any Zones >2.9M (lights are all that will be going in there and are supplied from the old lighting circuit in the old room), that I still need to get it inspected and signed off by a Sparky or BC as well as getting the whole thing signed of by BC?

If that makes sense?

There are actually two windows one vented Velug (Pitched roof) and a 1M squared opener., does this mean I don't need to fit an extractor...by reg's?
You still need an extractor fan regardless even if you have windows. Be very careful with the electrics, LABC will almost certainly not be interested in inspecting/testing if you didn’t notify in advance & will assume your bringing someone in to do the work. It’s unlikely they will raise it either until final inspection when you will be expected to produce a minor works certificate for the electrics. No electrical certificate will mean no completion certificate & as nobody can officially sign of someone else’s work, you will then be stuffed unless you can find a “cooperative” part P spark but that’s unlikely unless you know personally know someone prepared to go out on a limb for you in exchange for a backhander.

hello Rich

Thanks.

So basically I may as well get a Sparky in to do the works and sign it off, even though there's nothing special to do as its using all the existing wiring, nothing is being changed apart from slightly re-routing by 6" a light fitting.

fully understand the need for full certification etc, as we are meant to be improving quality going forwards, but this seems a little harsh!!

Another question for all....

if a want to emove surface mounted boxes (switches / skts / FCU) and replace with sunken back boxes because they are better looking, can i do it myself without cert's etc?

No wiring is changing just fittings.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back