Outdoor flodlight clicking but not lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've 3 outdoor floodlights all 500w and all have the same problem.

When dark and you move you can clearly hear them click as they sense movement. however the light fail to turn on.

All bulbs have been change for brand new ones and also tested in 'site' lamp so the bulbs are fine.

With winter drawing in and darkness :( can anyone please PUN="shed some light" on the situation.

Cheers

[/list][/list][/code][/quote]

Sponsored Links
Sorry to ask, but have you inserted the lamps correctly so the ends make contact with the pins?

I was going to suggest exactly what sparkwright had written as numerous times I have been to faulty flood lights to find the pins not located in the lamps correctly. hope this helps.

I'm always afraid of snapping the lamps when I insert them - the force required is quite severe!

Sponsored Links
Common fault with 500W Halogens is the pins that press into the end of the lamps arc and oxidise making effectively an insulator between the lamp and the lampholder.

Turn off the power to the units and wipe over the protruding brass pins at the end of the lampholders with some wet and dry paper until you can see the brass come through again , that should sort it out

Nick

cheers all,

:) to you ban all sheds

The area I live in does require said security lights lol

plus we use the back entrance (u er misus) so need some form of lighting.

Will get a look at the connectors when this wind has dropped,

cheers all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back