Outdoor Office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am considering building an outdoor structure at the bottom of my garden for me to work in as the kids are getting older and I am soon to be kicked out of my bedroom office. Does anyone know of any websites that can offer step by step instructions on how to do this. I am confident about the foundations, walls, floors electrics etc. but have never made a roof from scratch. Would I need planning permission?
Thanks for any suggestions

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank Rich, I have also emailed the council about a week ago but haven't had a reply.
Hardly surprising, your LABC primary function is to inspect & approve for a fee. Although the will give advice on specific proposals, they are not a consultancy/advisory service & expect you to do your own research to ensure your keeping within Planning & relevant Building Regulations; they will, however, tell you when you haven’t.

Unless your property is listed or you have exhausted your permitted development rights with other buildings, extensions etc, I would advise you keep within the footprint, height & location guidelines on the planning portal to avoid the need for Planning Permission. Also keep it as a non habitable space or you’ll run into all sorts of problems with Building Regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back