Outlook express problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We use outlook express. Recently a few minutes after opening it it has started giving the standard error message, eg "outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close, we are sorry for the inconvenience.......send error report / don't send etc".

We then have to close it (or it closes itself when the next key is pressed). Then rwe eopen it, it works OK for a a few minutes then the same again. This keeps happening. Can send and receive email OK in between closures.

Wondered if anyone had any ideas please ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
thanks breezer - I've held off reinstalling as we've lost data in the past when doing this - but might need to as you suggest. Sustem resotre never seems to work on our pc for some reason
cheers :)

When OE starts try to put into offline mode , File > < Work offline >... Outside chance there may be an email with large attachment trying to open... you could then prevent auto opening of mail - possibly delete the offending mail.

Check this out...
http://www.insideoe.com/
And
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/oerepair.mspx

Not really relevant here but worth knowing...
M$ said:
...we want to provide advanced notice that as of June 30, 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express. As an alternative, we recommend that you download Windows Live Mail, a free desktop e-mail client that has the familiarity of Outlook Express...

:cool:

Sponsored Links
i formatted and reinstalled system restore.

if you have a 2nd hd or partioons you can change the OE store folder to be here, so if you fomat you just change the store folder back to where it was and all email comes back

caution

when you initaly do this you will lose all current email, but oince its done you never loos it again if you ever format C

(there is probably a way round this but i do not know it)

Outlook is a very poor piece of software, as is internet explorer. If you have to re-install or loose you data in whatever way, you might as well choose a proper program. I have used both Opera and Firefox for years and find them infinitely better. Opera has best performance and most features but takes a little bit longer to start than Firefox. Both are tried and tested, and proven to be stable and reliable.

System restore never seems to work on our PC for some reason

Just a point but do you have Norton installed? Because it prevents System restore from doing a restore. It needs to be turned off before trying a SR.
dave

Sponsored Links
Back