problem with email server

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have recently had problems with my email servers, via outlook express. Incoming is fine, but outgoing is giving me a problem.
Incoming is via easyspace, outgoing is via btconnect, as I generally access via btbroadband.
Error message is 550 <my email address> ...not permitted. Error number Or800CCC78
This set up has generally worked in the past.
Where am I going wrong? I have tried a number of different variations via the outlook express/tools/accounts/properties etc
thanks, in advance.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure it to do with authentication with your SMTP server. If you go to your ISP web site, they usually have on line help pages that'll sort you out, also if you type outlook express Ox800CCC78 into google you'll get shed loads of help

Yes, BT like a lot of others now only permit authenticated accounts to use their SMTP servers in order to cut down on spamming.

You need to goto Tools>Accounts and then select properties for the account in question. Click the Servers tab and check the "My server requires authentication" box. Assuming BT is your ISP, you will need to click the settings box, click the "Logon using" radio button and enter your BT username and password.

Sponsored Links
No, I'm neither :LOL:

But I happened to have the same prob, I have a different ISP for dial-up from my broadband ISP.

Yeah, sorry I couldn't give you the precise process to enable authentication with Outlook express, as I use Outlook instead. But I'm glad you're sorted.

Back