Outside Lighting Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently bought 2 Tall 3 headed lights out of B&Q for my drive. I have a cable from the socket inside the house (not connected) behind a 4 gang switch which are all being used.

I have been searching for a 5 gang switch but very hard to find although I could use a 6 gang which seem more available.

I want to add a motion sensor to the first light and need some advice of a good motion sensor and where should I install the motion sensor. I was thinking of the base of the light as I would not have to drill any holes into the new lights!!

Is there anything else I should be aware of before I try and do this myself?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1st thing is the cable coming from a socket or a switch, you say both??

Sorry the cable is coming from a 6 gang switch which i bought today in my hall (not connected yet)!!

well Breen it all depends if there is a neutral connection inside your
4/6 gang switch more often than not there isnt, you will have to open it up and have a look and let us know whats there. what do your existing 4 switches control,
Paul

Sponsored Links
Put the motion sensor where you want it to detect most. Not neccessary under the lamps.

The switch controls my hall, landing and outside porch lights. 2 of the switches are 2 way there are blue, brown and earth wiring within the switch.

is there a connector block within the back box with two or more blue cables in it? this would a neutral connection

well you need to prove this is a neutral realy but it sounds if it is, you take the blue of your feed cable to this block and your brown into the L1 terminal of your new switch, and take a link of cable from a permenant live terminal in one of the other switches to the C terminal of your new switch, and of course take your earth to the earth terminal and you have your switched supply

you then take this supply to your PIR then from the PIR to your new lights, most PIRs have a pulse over ride so you can switch the lights on continously for parties etc then back to detector mode at night

thats ok, well you need a neutral connection, is there a socket outlet under the 4 gang switch or nearby? you may have to feed of a socket then take a switch wire up to your 4 gang switch, or just switch it from a spur unit alongside the socket your feeding off

this is a pic of the inside of my switch, you can see the black cable to the left hand side which is going outside for the external lights!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back