Outside Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
can someone help please, i am wanting to wire up an outside socket for Christmas Lights and other items, inside i have a double socket which is situated approx 1ft from the outside wall, can i safely run a cable from this socket and wire a new socket on the outside, of course with the correct ip rating ?

Sponsored Links
Are you looking to hard wire it? Is the circuit RCD protected? What sort of cable?
Also please note that this work is notifiable to your LABC under part P of the building regs.

Hi, yes it would be hard wired and i understand about PART P, The inside socket does not have RCD protection, would i have to change this for a protected one

The outside socket requires RCD protection, what type of cable? The reason I ask is twin and earth isn't suitable for mounting outside.

Is the existing socket on a ring ckt?

Sponsored Links
Yes the inside socket is the last on a ring.

what do you mean, the last on a ring?
surely if it's the last on a ring it's also the first on a ring.

do you mean it's a spur off the ring (with only one cable supplying the socket)?

or is it a radial circuit (not a ring at all, usually fused at 16 or 20A)?

would have thought you could use 2.5 t+e if it comes through the outside wall then immediately into the bottom of the outside socket via a cable gland.

make sure you provide RCD protection.

A couple of questions regarding your consumer unit (fusebox).

- What is the rating of the fuse/circuit breaker supplying that socket?

- Does that circuit breaker, or the main switch controlling that circuit breaker, have a 'test' button on it?

- If it does have a 'test' button, does it say 30mA or 100mA?

Thanks, Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back