Outside step rise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just had a patio laid along with some outside steps. The rise on one of the steps is approx 25cm. I can help but think this is rather high. I've searched for the building regs on this but everything seems to relate to indoor stairs. Can anyone advise on what the building regs say about outdoor step rises?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Regs don't apply but common sense does.

Indoor step rise maximum is 220mm. However this is fine where snow rain or ice does not exist. Anywhere around the 150mm mark is a comfortable external step rise, plus or minus say 50mm.

Going up steep steps isn't so bad but coming down them can be lethal. Keep all risers the same. Do not be tempted to throw in an odd sized rise.

Regs don't apply but common sense does.

Indoor step rise maximum is 220mm. However this is fine where snow rain or ice does not exist. Anywhere around the 150mm mark is a comfortable external step rise, plus or minus say 50mm.

Going up steep steps isn't so bad but coming down them can be lethal. Keep all risers the same. Do not be tempted to throw in an odd sized rise.

Hi

Thanks for the speedy response. There's just one step from the main patio to the side of the house. The drop to the first step is 19cm and the the drop from there to the sibsequent level is 25cm. The tread on the step is 50cm. Would you say this is acceptable?

It looks like he's not allowed the 150mm between the patio and DPM. It's at 130mm. Is this something I should be worried about?

Cheers

130mm 150mm? Whatever!

With regards to the step as mentioned only common sense applies in a garden. 250mm for a step is too much IMO but you will just have to discuss it with the cowboy and hope he has some common sense as there are no regs to back you up.

Sponsored Links
130mm 150mm? Whatever!

With regards to the step as mentioned only common sense applies in a garden. 250mm for a step is too much IMO but you will just have to discuss it with the cowboy and hope he has some common sense as there are no regs to back you up.

Hi

Thanks for the response. To be honest, the step is now less worrying than the gap between the DPM and slabs. The 150mm, as I understand is a minimum, there doesn't seem to be any point of a minimum if some is going to push the boundaries. If we ignore the minimum, at some point you're going to be at the DPM or worse over it.

I wish my life were that simple that I worried about whether my patio was 130mm or 150mm below my dpc.

I wish my life were that simple that I worried about whether my patio was 130mm or 150mm below my dpc.

Try parting with £3k. You'll soon be concerned. It won't be minor if I get damp. If you can't make valid comments, I'd rather you refrain from stupid comments. I can only assume you're one of the cowboys who gives honest tradesman a bad name.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back