Outside Tap Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit an outside tap, by teeing off from the cold supply near my boiler, and routing the pipe through the wall a few feet away.

Is it a good idea to fit some kind of isolation tap to the tap on the pipework to the new tap? If yes, should I use an isolation valve (or will this reduce the flow too much?), or a proper stop tap?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Gate valve would be best.....remember you need a double check valve to comply with regs tho and fit a drain point after your iso/gate valve......to drain the line over winter

i always use a stopcock or full bore lever valve then a double check valve and then a drain off tap.

Agree with powell, apart from not using a gate valve on a mains supply - a full bore lever valve would be more advisable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

The tap has a check valve in it, do I need to fit another?

regs state now any new install check valve is installed internal only replacing an old install tap can still have check valve external.

external check valves freeze and can then still backflow.

if it is a single yes......check the bs number and check on website to confirm if it complies.......WRAS have a site i think with details on

Gate valve would be best.....remember you need a double check valve to comply with regs tho and fit a drain point after your iso/gate valve......to drain the line over winter
a gate valve is not a better option than a stopcock for mains pressure as it can cause water hammer, a gate valve is designed for cold storage supplies etc not mains pressure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back