Oven broken - cold dinner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Smeg freestanding oven and ceramic hob. Was cooking in the oven last night and suddently all the power in the house went off. Fuse box had tripped out. I flicked it back on, and it clicked back off immediately. I switched the plug to the cooker off, and this time the power stayed on in the house. The oven has a grill and a top and bottom heating element as well as an element for the fan oven. If I switch on the top and bottom element, that's all fine until I turn the knob that does the power/temperature.

The hob works fine.

Have taken the back off to have a quick look, and I can't see anything too nasty.

Any tips on anything obvious to look at before calling out an electrician?

Any comments gratefully received.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Do you mean you have a cooker?
or
Do you have an oven AND separate hob?

When you say you turn the 'power temperature' do you mean the oven thermostat

Sponsored Links
Does the thermostat have a position where only the fan comes on (sometimes called defrost). If it does turn the t/stat to this position if it dosnt trip anything, then you know the fan is ok.
If you dont have this position the fault could be
Thermostat
Element
Fan
A common fault a wire breaking at the element or the element itself.
None of the items should be difficult to change.
If you have a meter & are competent it should be possible to test all the items.
When you find the faulty part, do a google search using the cooker model number (probably on the back of the cooker) to find the part.
Good luck

Thanks for this. One of the oven settings is top and bottom element only - no fan. It's ok until I turn the thermostat on.

There's also the grill which you can use with no fan. It's ok when the grill switch is on (no fan), but when the thermostat gets switched on, it goes again.

I thought this pointed to the thermostat, BUT

With the fan oven, it cuts out as soon as I switch that on - not even the thermostat switch then!

Bugger!!!!

Right, this "thermostat switch" WHAT are you referring to???

A thermostat is an electronic device for regulating the temperature in a volume of space. All the OVEN elements in your oven will be connected to a thermostat, otherwise it will get hotter and hotter until it self-combusts.

Could you show us pictures of the oven controls? Do you know exactly what this "thermostat" knob does? Does the missus have more of an idea what it does (so often the case)?

I do all the cooking, mate. Will post some pics tomorrow if that will help. Thanks for the reply, Steve

Actually, forgot the phone, mate, so quicker than anticipated. Here are the pics:

The 'thermostat" knob
thermo.jpg

The "Oven" controls
settings.jpg

The knobs, in context. The two right hand and left-hand side controls are the hob. They're fine
overall.jpg

Right, I expect the way this works is that you turn the "oven control" knob to select the method of heating. And the "thermostat" knob controls the heating.

Am I right in thinking that without turning the thermostat knob, no heaters will work besides the grill?

If this is the case, you need to find on which setting the "oven control" knob trips the circuits, while leaving the thermostat on high.

If it is the case that the "thermostat" controls a totally seperate element hidden, then it is this element I would be concerned with. However I dont expect an oven would work like this (elements on without thermostat control).

While testing, please turn off all other circuits, to avoid damage to any sensitive equipment caused by frequent tripping of your electrics during test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back