Oven housing too tight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
img_0693-jpg.108824
Hi all,
Just fitting the new kitchen, came to fit the oven into the howdens under counter carcass and it's at most 5mm too tight!

The cross member on the front is stopping it!

Is it just a case of knocking 5mm off the bottom of the cross beam?

Cheers all

Aaron

Sponsored Links
That was my first thought but it's not like the standard transport beams!

It's held in by the force of Thor himself! Which makes me think it's a support beam!?!

Sponsored Links
Bottom shelf has to be adjustable for differing models of oven, lower it 5mm.

If it was suppose to be left on it would not have a bare chipboard edge.

John..
Unless its been assembled with the finished edge at the rear?
If it was removed, what would support the thin strip of worktop if a hob was fitted in it?
litl

Unless its been assembled with the finished edge at the rear?
If it was removed, what would support the thin strip of worktop if a hob was fitted in it?
litl

Why would the finished edge be at the rear? What support would a strip of 18mm chipboard give? Not a lot. Especially after some would need cutting away to fit the hob.

John..

If it's a Howdens carcase, then it was prebuilt. If you remove the upper support bar (very safe to do) and the oven goes in, and will still be under the worktop, then you should be fine.

You can screw the sides of the carcase into the adjoining units, and that'll give you back the necessary rigidity.

The hob would be supported adequately by the sides, so doesn't require any structural support at the front, as pointed out previously, the front bar on the carcase invariably gets mutilated in order to get the hob in.

But one thing to consider, is that if the oven vents out at the front, then most women get fed up cooking over a hot stove, and getting blasted by the oven whilst doing so. Although it's a common standard to put the hob above the over, there's a very good argument for keeping them apart.

"then most women get fed up cooking over a hot stove"

Just to redress the balance, so do blokes!

Screw it!
I'm convinced!

It's coming out!

Than you all for your advice!

It's screwed to pretty much everything so it's not coming out easily!

circular saw with a blade that is rated for wood and metal (e.g. screws) would be the ticket..

Too much like hard work; a saw in the middle will do it, or even a hammer. It's only been glue and dowelled on the sides.

Too much like hard work; a saw in the middle will do it, or even a hammer. It's only been glue and dowelled on the sides.

I'll not lie, I took this approach!
I bumbled about, looking like I knew what I was doing!the mrs popped out for milk,so I thrashed it one!

And threw the oven in place before she came home!

Cheers for all the advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back