Oven MCB problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our built in single oven is plugged into the kitchen ring main (as recommended in the manual)

When it gets up to temperature it causes the MCB to break.

I have tried it on a different ring main and the same thing happens. Is this a problem with the appliance - ie buy a new one or a too sensitive MCB?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Oven is 20A, rating of MCB 30A

BTW the oven did cause the MCB to trip occasionally when it was new, but has worked fine for around 2 years until now.

If it's 20A, it should NOT be plugged into a ring final.

Don't call it a ring main, you'll increase some folk's BP....

Sponsored Links
Ooops, sorry, not sure of the rating of the oven. Followed the installation instructions very carefully and used a plug into a normal socket.

Looking on the internet it recommends a 13A fuse, so that is as fitted. Sorry for the confusion about that!

The MCB is still tripping though lol.

There should be a rating plate, sometimes it's located inside the oven where the door closes. Either that or look in the manual.

Found the manual, it says a 13A fuse is the minimum required - this is fitted, into a 13A Socket unit.

there is a plate saying the rating 2.25kW or is this other info?

I never think an oven however small is best on a ring final & especially on the kitchen ring which can well be quite loaded anyway at certain times (just consider, washer, dryer, kettle to start with before we think of dishwasher, toaster etc etc).
However, it is allowed .
I`d be considering your oven might have slight damage and the heat of expansion causing a connection to touch the case perhaps

When it trips the MCB does it do it on start-up or is it after its been on for a long time?

Yes, so like I said, faulty element or stat.

Possibly running to earth when either stat gets up to temperature or element expands in the heat.

Quote - Betcha don't have an RCD....

Just looked at the fuse board and its the RCD that trips not the MCB.

Does this make a difference to the diagnosis?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back